Updating your personal details

You must ensure you keep both the University and the Home Office up-to-date with your personal information.

Keeping the University up to date

An important condition of your Tier 4 visa is that you register, and remain registered, on your programme of study. 

At the beginning of your programme you will need to come to International Student Clearance and show us your passport, Tier 4 visa and qualifications documents before you can register. Once you have done this you will be able to complete the University’s online registration process, which you can access through iExeter.  In each subsequent year of study you will need to make sure you complete the online registration process at the beginning of each academic year.

The University is required to keep a copy of your passport and current visa, which will usually be in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).  We will not share this information with anyone else (other than the Home Office) unless you give us your permission to do so.  If you get a new passport or visa during your studies you must bring these to us so that we can take a copy.  

If you have a new passport or visa you need to show us during the year, please bring this to the Reception Area in the Innovation Centre (Exeter), or the PIP desk in the Peter Lanyon Building (Cornwall). Offices are open Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm.

It is extremely important that ensure that your visa remains valid throughout your period of study. 

At the start of your course, you should be given a Tier 4 visa which covers the duration of your studies plus some wrapping up time (contact us if this is not the case).  If you require extra time to finish your programme you will need to apply for a new Tier 4 before your current visa expires. We will send you a reminder 3 months and 1 month before your visa is due to expire if you are still studying with us.

If you do need to extend your visa for any reason, our office will issue you with a new CAS number and can also check your application and supporting documents.

Another Tier 4 requirement is that you make sure that the University always has a record of your current address and other contact details. You will be required to provide these when you register, but please ensure you inform us of any changes to this. You can do this in iExeter.

Keeping the Home Office up to date

The way you report a change will depend on what the change is and whether your visa is a BRP card or a vignette (sticker) in your passport.  The table below shows you the form you need to complete if any of your details change part way through your studies.

Type of change



Address, legal representative's address (but see the note below this table)

MCC form

Online form 

Name, nationality, appearance, date of birth, gender

Online form

(approx. £161)

Online form 

(approx. £161)

Details of new passport

MCC form

MCC form*

Criminal convictions

MCC form

MCC form

Changes to relationships with family members who have leave to be in the UK as your dependent

MCC form

MCC form

Other relevant changes

MCC form

MCC form

*If you have a new passport and your visa is a vignette (sticker) in your old passport, you do not need to transfer your visa to your new passport as long as you can travel with both passports.  If you want to enter into a tenancy agreement with a private landlord or you want to work, your visa must be on a BRP card or in a current passport.  In this situation you will need to submit a Transfer of Conditions application online.

For other benefits to transferring your Tier 4 leave to a BRP card, see UKCISA.


MCC forms are free.

Additional cost of £610 for premium applications.  

Contact us for help with checking and submitting the right form for your situation.

For general information about BRP cards, see Home Office guidance notes.