Leaving the employment of the University

Depending on how long you have been in the pension scheme you will have various choices as to what happens to your benefits.

If you have less than two years' membership, you can ask for a partial refund of the contributions you have paid into the scheme or leave the benefits in as a frozen pension to collect at normal retirement age. If you choose this option you could then possibly transfer the benefits to your new employers scheme if they have one.

If you have more than two years' membership the refund option is removed, but you can still choose between a frozen pension or a transfer out to a new scheme.

Further information