|Duration||1 year full time|
|Discipline||Business and Management|
Programme director: Dr Joanne Connell
- In an era of climate emergency, we focus on tourism as a positive force for ecosystems and communities, with an emphasis on the sustainable and regenerative aspects of tourist activity
- Our unique programme focuses on developing and managing tourism that makes a positive contribution to the environment, livelihoods and communities. Benefit from being based in the South West, a UK tourist hub, to experience first-hand the challenges and opportunities for tourism businesses and organisations moving beyond sustainability.
- Join our vibrant postgraduate community benefiting from research-inspired teaching from experts in sustainability
- Gain real-world insight with field trips, visits and case studies along with opportunities to engage with live projects
- Shape your degree to your career ambitions with optional modules in business, heritage, sustainability, conservation and health
Triple accredited Business School
Accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB
Home to the £30 million Environment and Sustainability Institute: researching solutions to environmental change
6th in The Complete University Guide 2021
Top 100 for Hospitality and Leisure Management in the QS World Subject Rankings 2022
A mid 2:2 degree from a recognised university. IELTS (Academic): Overall score 6.5. No less than 6.0 in any section.
We consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications.
We will focus on tourism in the context of regeneration and resilience examining the ways in which it can be used as a positive force. You will gain insights into a range of strategic management approaches and discover tools to address tourism impacts and develop new ways of enabling tourism to benefit people and places.
Cornwall is a major UK tourist destination, and you will have the opportunity to become immersed in the local community and to explore first-hand the challenges and benefits of tourism in an area where it is essential to the local economy.
You will engage in live projects and be encouraged to engage with current critiques of tourism production-consumption models and tourism as part of global and local sustainability debates.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
£1 million in Business School scholarships available
We want to ensure that postgraduate study remains accessible to the brightest minds of the future. We therefore have a range of full and part-fee scholarships for postgraduate students looking to study at the Business School in 2022. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* and Green Futures Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Teaching and research
University of Exeter Business School research has global impact, with the majority of our research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.*
*Research Excellence Framework 2014
Our research-led teaching is combined with practical experiences such as field trips and project work, so that you can apply your learning to real world scenarios. Upon graduation, you will have the skills and knowledge to pursue the career you want, wherever in the world you choose to work.
Our programmes cover a range of disciplines including entrepreneurship, international business, marketing, human resource management, and tourism. With strong links to organisations across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, and with professional organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD), we ensure that your Masters degree is widely recognised in today’s global marketplace.
You will be taught by internationally respected academics who are at the forefront of their research. We draw upon disciplines across the social sciences and give emphasis to the dynamic nature of enterprise, global connectivity and the management and leadership of the global challenges that lie ahead.
The Business School is home to the following research centres:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Centre for Simulation, Analytics and Modelling (CSAM)
- Exeter Centre for Social Networks (ECSN)
- Exeter Centre for Leadership (ExCL)
- Exeter Sustainable Finance Centre (ESF)
- Initiative in the Digital Economy at Exeter (INDEX)
- Land, Environment, Economics and Policy Institute (LEEP)
- Research Methods Centre
- Tax Administration Research Centre (TARC)
- The Exeter Centre for Circular Economy (ECCE)
Our Masters programmes are designed to prepare you for a successful career, wherever in the world you plan to work. Employers expect advanced communication and technical skills, team-working and independent research, project-management and the very latest specialist knowledge from their postgraduate recruits.
As a graduate of the MSc Regenerative Tourism, you will be well placed to go on to work in a wide range of roles including:
- market development specialists in tourism destination management organisations
- tourism officers or consultants in environmental or community-based organisations
- community and economic development roles in government and non-government organisations
- specialist positions in the travel and hotel sectors
- further study at PhD level, going on to develop an academic career.
Developing your skills and career prospects
The University of Exeter Business School provides a range of support to help you develop skills attractive to employers. Visit our postgraduate Business School careers service web page for more information.
Employment and professional development
Our excellent Career Zone provides invaluable support, advice and access to graduate employers. Visit the employment and professional development pages for more information, including podcasts and profiles, about the range of support available.
In addition, the location of this programme within a hub of renowned academia will offer you the possibility of connections, networking opportunities, advice and guidance from others with extensive academic and career-related experience in this field.