Medicine and Health
- 83% of research in Clinical Medicine classified as world-leading or internationally excellent
- Top 10 in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research in Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care
- Major capital investment in new buildings and state-of-the-art facilities
- Research students are regular recipients of prestigious prizes at national and international meetings
- A vibrant and active research student community supported by excellent pastoral and academic staff with wide-ranging opportunities to develop interdisciplinary and vocational skills
Our research is at the cutting edge of health innovation, making a difference across the world. In our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 Clinical Medicine research was ranked 3rd in the country, based on research outputs that were rated world-leading. Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care research also ranked in the top ten, in joint 9th for research outputs rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
Research within the Medical School is based around four distinct themes:
- Diabetes, Cardiovascular risk and Ageing
- Environment and Human Health
- Health Services Research
- Neuroscience and Mental Health
Many staff engage in research in partnership with organisations including the NHS, NIHR, The Wellcome Trust, MRC and a wide range of health-related charities and international universities and institutions.
Our research themes are delivered across our two research institutes:
The Institute of Biomedical & Clinical Science
The Insitute’s research is people-focussed and designed to deliver direct benefit to patients, the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry. The Institute’s aim is to understand the underlying molecular basis of disease and to apply this knowledge in innovative ways that lead to improved treatment and a better quality of life for patients.
The Institute of Health Research
The Institute’s research strengths lie in applied health research and underpinning methodological work. We focus on research that reflects the needs of patients and of health service providers, based on partnership with the NHS and other public bodies and a strong commitment to public involvement.