Sport and Health Sciences
- Top 50 in the world for Sports-related subjects
- 1st for Sports Science in Complete University Guide 2018 and 4th for Sports Science in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 3rd in the UK for research
- State-of-the-art teaching and research facilities including modern laboratories for biomechanics, physiology, psychology and social sciences
- One of the UK’s top sporting universities, consistently top 15 in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) championships
Sport and Health Sciences at the University of Exeter has a long-standing and international reputation for leading research in the field and ranks 3rd in the UK for research^. Our world-renowned academics are recognised for their groundbreaking and innovative work within the academic community, and are also highly sought after by leading sports professionals and teams.
Our friendly, intimate academic community provides a truly supportive environment for our staff and students that fosters a vibrant research culture. We are continually evolving to ensure we remain at the forefront of pioneering research areas, but without losing the inclusive atmosphere that allows our academics to truly flourish. We have also enhanced our academic team with additional research staff who are distinguished worldwide for their studies.
We attract significant funding from UK Research Councils (including MRC, EPSRC, ESRC, and Royal Society), The National Institute of Health Research (Health Technology Assessment) the commercial sector (including Glaxo Smith-Kline, Unilever and Kellogg’s); and from sporting bodies (including UK Sport, UK Athletics, Manchester United Football Club and the Rugby Football Union).
A PhD offers an exciting opportunity to work at the cutting-edge of research; we will provide you with a very supportive environment in which to pursue your studies.
^Times Higher Education, REF 2014: subject ranking on intensity-weighted GPA
Degrees in Exeter
What is Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences?
Staff and students talk about their experiences of studying and teaching in Sport and Health Sciences at the University of Exeter.
View full size.