MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
|Duration||Full time 1 year|
Rated one of the world’s best in the 2018 Financial Times Masters in Finance Rankings
Top 100 in the 2019 Global QS Masters in Finance Rankings
Awarded CFA® ‘Affiliation Program’ Status
Opportunity to apply to the prestigious QTEM programme
Our flagship finance Masters is ideal if you wish to study advanced financial theory and are looking to acquire expertise in investment analysis and fund management.
You will be challenged with an academically rigorous curriculum supported by practical experiences to ensure you gain the skills demanded by global organisations.
As one of only a handful of programmes globally to be awarded CFA ‘University Affiliation Program’ status you not only have the opportunity to gain your MSc in 12-months, but also work towards Levels I and II of the CFA examinations, with dedicated support including:
- Enrolment in the Level I examination
- Rebate on the fees for Levels I and II*
- CFA® e-books and webinars
- Three-week introduction and training boot camp held at the beginning of September
- Dedicated workshops and events delivered by CFA® Practitioners
*Subject to providing a valid receipt
Choosing this programme gives you access to a range of additional activities and benefits as part of your studies including:
- 24/7 finance lab hosting major databases including Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters
- Global study and work experience opportunities
- Excellent Career support
- Database training leading to additional certificates
- Participate in the Business School Ethics Challenge analysing CFA case studies
- Apply to the Global CFA Investment Research Challenge judged by CFA experts
- Guest speakers and lectures by industry experts on finance topics
CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by CFA Institute.
The University of Exeter’s MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management degree presented a programme that was different from many others I saw in the field of finance. You have the opportunity to earn a Masters degree and also prepare and partake in both Level I and II of the CFA® examinations. This means in the span of 12-months I will graduate with my MSc and be part way towards a second qualification and I feel this will greatly enhance my employability.
Nazeema Derbas - MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management.
Alumni job titles
Our graduates are making a real difference around the world, here are some positions of recent MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management graduates:
- Fund Manager
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Corporate Financial Advisor
- Asset Trader
- Wealth Management Consultant
- Precious Commodities Trader
- Financial Controller
- Head of Finance
This programme is a 12-month full-time programme, studied over three terms, and is University-based throughout this time.
The taught components of the programme are delivered in the first two terms, with the third term, and most of the summer, spent researching and writing a dissertation.
During the first two terms, we also offer four weekend sessions delivered by CFA® trainers designed to provide specific help and training for students sitting the CFA® exams.
Start date: September
The programme in its entirety, including the three week induction course, runs from September to September.
The intensive induction course will commence at the very beginning of September.
During the programme you will study modules (including the dissertation) totalling 180 credits. Please note that modules are subject to change. To ensure a high level of coverage of the CFA® syllabus all of the modules on this programme are compulsory.
- Descriptions of the individual modules are given in full on the Business School postgraduate module list.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
Learning and teaching
Your employability is a main priority for us, we therefore offer a range of excellent career support and additional activities including:
- A brand new Finance and Banking Career Management Module, designed exclusively for the programme. This module covers mock application proves and an overview of the roles you can look to progress into
- You can extend your programme with the prestigious QTEM Network, taking part in a one-semester exchange, a 1.5-month internship and participation in the QTEM Data Challenge leading to the QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure
- One-to-one appointments are available with our dedicated, highly qualified postgraduate careers consultants including CV workshops and mock interviews
- Employer led workshops from top investment banks and financial service companies, to offer you advice and insights into their recruitment processes
- Access to the Career Mentor Scheme to develop your professional goals by connecting with alumni in your chosen field
- Weekly careers e-bulletins bringing you the latest career news and events
- Financial database training leading to the award of the Bloomberg Market Concept (BMC) Certificate and the Thomson Reuters Product certificate upon completion
Academic / Research challenges give you the opportunity to participate in various events and challenges including the CFA(R) Investment Research Challenge, the Business School’s Ethics Challenge and the Bloomberg Investment Ideas Challenge.
After graduation, you will join our network of over 120,000 alumni who are making a real difference across the globe in fields including: find management, investment banking, corporate finance, trading and wealth management.
Previous graduates from this programme have secured roles with a range of organisations including PwC, KPMG, Deloitte, BNP Paribas, EY, Société Generale, AXA, JP Morgan, Huawei, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and UBS.
As part of the programme there are a range of study abroad and work experience opportunities open to you including:
- International financial field trip designed for the programme
- Apply to the prestigious QTEM Network
- Double Degree
- Short-term study abroad opportunities
International financial field trip
During the summer months, the Business School organises a field trip to visit prestigious financial institutions where you receive bespoke tours and classes at our partner universities delivered by industry experts. Previous trips have included classes at:
- The Bocconi School of Management – included workshops in Investment Management and a visit to a prestigious asset management organisation
- ZHAW School of Management – students learnt about the Swiss Private Banking structure and products and delved into Hedge Fund Strategies and Investment Policies
2018/19 cohort outside ZHAW School of Management and Law
The structure may vary from year to year depending on the hosting institution’s availability and countries of interest
Enhance you degree with Study Abroad opportunities
After your first year of studies at Exeter, you are eligible to apply and progress onto the QTEM Programme. You will spend an additional term studying at one of the prestigious academic partners in the QTEM Network, followed by a two month internship.
Upon competition you will receive a QTEM certificate demonstrating your high-level analytical ability, work experience and international exposure.
After your first year of studies at Exeter you will spend a second year at Grenoble Ecole de Management in France, a world class international institution, resulting in two Masters degrees.
For more information on all our postgraduate study abroad opportunities, visit the Business School’s Study Abroad webpages.
A 2:1 or above with honours in Accounting, Finance, Investment, Economics, Maths, Business or related discipline from a recognised university. Evidence of mathematical/quantitative* ability is essential. The majority of our candidates will be expecting a First or 2:1 degree, however, we do consider all applications where there is evidence of exceptional performance in modules relevant to the programme of study, significant relevant work experience or professional qualifications such as CFA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS and CIMA.
This programme is an intensive 12 month programme and gives students the opportunity to study for the CFA(r) Level I and Level II exams at the same time as the MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management.
In order to apply for the MSc Financial Analysis and Fund Management candidates must be able to demonstrate strengths in: Finance, Accounting, Economics and Mathematics.
*Mathematics modules may include, for example, Algebra, Calculus, Econometrics, Statistics, Probability or Optimisation.
Applicants requiring visas will need to meet all outstanding conditions of their offer by the end of July at the latest. It is not possible to register on the programme unless all conditions have been met and appropriate visas obtained.
Applicants who do not require a visa have until the end of August to meet the conditions of their offer.
If you are not able to meet these deadlines for any reason please notify the admissions team as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Masters programme for international students
The Graduate Diploma in Finance run by the INTO University of Exeter Centre is a pre-Masters programme designed to enhance your subject knowledge, study skills and English ability. Successful completion of the Diploma (subject to achieving the specific grades of entry) gives students from overseas the skills needed for acceptance onto this Masters programme.
Requirements for international students
If you are an international student, please visit our international equivalency pages to enable you to see if your existing academic qualifications meet our entry requirements.
English language requirements
At least 7.0 overall and no less than 6.0 in any other section.
At least 100 with minimum scores of 21 for writing, 21 for listening, 22 for reading and 23 for speaking.
Pearson Test of English (Academic)
65 with no less than 55 in all communicative skills.
Other accepted tests
Information about other acceptable tests of linguistic ability can be found on our English language requirements page.
Applicants with lower English language test scores may be able to take pre-sessional English at INTO University of Exeter prior to commencing their programme. See our English language requirements page for more information.
Fees and funding
Tuition fees per year 2020/21
- UK/EU: £14,800 full-time
- International: £26,800 full-time
Fees can normally be paid by two termly instalments and may be paid online. You will also be required to pay a tuition fee deposit to secure your offer of a place, unless you qualify for exemption. For further information about paying fees see our Student Fees pages.
UK government postgraduate loan scheme
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,609 are now available for Masters degrees. Find out more about eligibility and how to apply.
Global Excellence Scholarship
We are delighted to offer Global Excellence Scholarships for students of outstanding academic quality applying to postgraduate Taught programmes starting in autumn 2020.
Please note that this scholarship isn't offered for all our masters programmes.
Postgraduate Admissions queries
For any queries please complete our enquiry form
For questions about the programme:
Phone +44 (0) 1392 726679
For questions about your offer, CAS/Visa, supporting documents or application process:
Phone +44 (0) 1392 723044 (overseas) or 0300 555 6060 (UK)
Tier 4 fast-track visa
If your programme is 13-months or less you can benefit from a fast-track visa application and six months in the UK after the end of your programme. Click here for full details
One of a limited number of programmes globally to be awarded CFA® Affiliation
MSc FAFM Brochure
Ranked #62 in the Financial Times Global Masters in Finance 2018
About the programme
Business School PG Brochure
Download as PDF »