Passports/working permissions/visa

It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure their passport is valid for the whole period of their overseas employment.  Further information can be found at  If the employee is not a UK citizen they should also check their native country’s website for relevant guidance. 

When being posted overseas, staff should ensure that they meet the visa and immigration requirements to live and work in the host country. A work visa is often required, even for short-term assignments. Other forms of visa (business, visit, travel) usually have strict limitations and are generally inadequate where work is being undertaken in the host country. Tourist visas are almost always inadequate if you are travelling on University business.

Visa and immigration requirements will vary by country. Staff should check with the relevant embassy or consular office for up to date information on the requirements of the host country. If further advice or support is required to obtain a visa staff should contact their relevant HR Business Partner.

If staff visit or work overseas without the correct authorisations in place, they could be subject to fines, deportation or detention, and the University may be blacklisted from future employment or engagement with the host country.

Some countries restrict the entry of people with certain medical conditions (please see Pre-Travel Health related matters.)
If an employee is working for the University in the UK prior to any overseas working, and they are working under a Tier 2 or Tier 5 visa then they must inform their HR Business Partner in the first instance.  Any change in circumstances will need to be reported to the UKVI.  The period of time they work overseas may also have implications for their current visa if this expires once they are out of the UK, future applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, etc.

Employee responsible for ensuring passport, visa and immigration requirements are met
HRBP/Advisor to provide advice and guidance where required