Skip to main content

Jury service

What to do when you are called for jury service:

  1. The University will grant staff time off for jury service.  
  2. If you are called for jury service, you must inform your College Pro-Vice-Chancellor and College Registrar (for staff in Colleges) or your Director of Professional Service (for staff in Professional Services) and HR Services.  
  3. If jury service lasts for less than half a day, you must return to work for the remainder of the day, wherever practicable.  
  4. You should keep your line manager regularly informed about how long you are likely to be away from work.
  5. You must claim “loss of earnings” from Her Majesty’s Courts Service (HMCS). To do this, you should forward a HMCS “Certificate of Loss of Earning or Benefit” to Employee Services in HR Services for completion then pass the completed form to the Court.
  6. To ensure that the you are not disadvantaged by any delay in the payment by the Court of loss of earnings, the University will continue to pay you your normal pay until you have received notification from HMCS of the loss of earnings.
  7. You must send the original copy of the remittance advice sent by HMCS to Employee Services in HR Services immediately after you receive it. You are under a duty to notify Human Resources of all loss of earnings compensation received from HMCS. 
  8. In accordance with the paragraph 9(b) on jury service outlined in the Conditions of Employment, the University will make an adjustment to your salary so that your net pay (after statutory deductions) plus the loss of earnings compensation received from HMCS equals normal net pay. Pension contributions will not be affected. (No further authority to adjust pay is required from since this is provided for within the Conditions of Employment.)

For example:

  • Normal net pay is £850 per calendar month;
  • This month, you have received £50 loss of earnings from HMRC;
  • Net pay this month is £800 (ie a deduction of £50 is made to net pay after the application of all other deductions and reductions).