For further information please see UKVI web pages

Skilled Worker Visa

Skilled Worker Visa (Tier 2 General)

This route is for people being sponsored by The University of Exeter to work in a particular role. The University will issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to each sponsored person. To be issued with a valid visa by UKVI, the applicant must then demonstrate they also meet the points criteria to obtain entry clearance.

Certificate of Sponsorship

Once the HR Immigration Team receive confirmation of your appointment we will contact you to begin the necessary arrangements to apply for a CoS.
The HR Immigration Team will require the following documentation before a CoS can be issued:

  • your passport (if you are sending certified copies we need: the main passport page and any current UK visas) and
  • your academic or professional qualifications (eg diplomas, PhD certificates etc)  We can also accept original transcripts, subject to them clearly showing the degree awarded and the date of completion.

If these documents were not obtained at interview, it will be necessary to provide certified copies. A certified copy is one that includes a signed statement, either by the issuing authority or by a solicitor or notary, confirming that it is an accurate copy of the original document. In the UK, the Post Office offers a certifying service. Please do not send original documents through the post, as we cannot guarantee their safe transit and you will need to retain the original documents for the visa application.  

Any documents that we request to see that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. The translator's credentials should be provided, along with their official confirmation that the translation is accurate.

The HR Immigration Team will email you the CoS and further details to complete the visa application online.

You will not be able to start work until the Skilled Worker visa has been obtained and we have had sight of this, to complete the right to work document check.

The University will meet the cost of the Certificate of Sponsorship and you will be able to claim the cost of the visa and immigration Health Surcharge (main applicant only) through the University's Visa Reimbursement Scheme.

Immigration Health Surcharge

You will be required to pay an immigration surcharge for you and any of your dependents. Please see the UKVI web pages for further information.