What to do if you experience discrimination

Report an incident of discrimination

Reporting incidents of discrimination is important because everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect and to feel safe at all times.

To report an incident of discrimination informally please use the online informal reporting form. This form can be used to informally report any incident of discrimination which has affected yourself or others.

You can complete the anonymous reporting form instead if you prefer, but we can only respond if you include your contact details using the informal reporting form. Both forms are confidential. 

Anything you feel is discriminatory under the Equality Act 2010* can be reported via the Informal reporting form, whether low-level, subtle incidents, or more obviously serious incidents. For other ways to report, please see the Exeter Speaks Out website

You can report an incident which has happened to you, or to someone else (‘third-party reporting’). In the case of third-party reporting there may be limitations to action that can be taken, however it is still important to report such incidents to help inform the ‘bigger picture’ so that trends or key issues may be identified.

*This covers incidents relating to the protected characteristics of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, race, pregnancy or maternity, marriage or civil partnership, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.

Any University of Exeter member of staff or student can report discrimination via the online informal reporting form.

Where contact details are provided, a member of the Equality and Diversity Team will contact you to provide information about sources of support and, if appropriate, to discuss possible action that may be taken.

The specific information you provide when you make a report will remain confidential, and will not be passed on without your permission. The only exception to this is if we feel there is an unacceptable risk to an individual or to the University.

All incidents of discrimination reported via the informal reporting form are recorded anonymously, and included in the statistical data within the Equality and Diversity Annual Report to Council.

Please note: Reporting incidents using the informal reporting form or anonymous reporting form is separate from the University’s formal complaint procedures. Details about how to make a formal complaint can be found below.

Making a formal complaint

We would always encourage you to report and resolve any issues informally if possible, however anyone who considers that they have experienced discrimination can make a formal complaint.

Members of staff should make a formal complaint via the Grievance Procedure. Students should make a formal complaint via the Student Complaints Procedure.