If you experience harassment

You have a number of options:

It is always better to try and resolve any issues of harassment and bullying informally if possible (although there may be some incidents which are so serious that it would not be appropriate to resolve things informally – see making a complaint).

If possible, go and talk to the person concerned, tell them that their behaviour is causing offence and ask them to stop. Often speaking with the person about their behaviour can bring the situation to an end. Sometimes people do not realise that their behaviour is upsetting and explaining this to them can be enough to make them rethink their actions. It is best to approach the person at the earliest opportunity to prevent the behaviour from escalating.

It may be helpful to have a note of incidents including times and dates so that you can give examples of the behaviour that may have caused offence.

Reporting an incident confidentially

You can report an incident of harassment using the informal reporting form. Find out about other ways to report on the Exeter Speaks Out website

Get advice and support

Talk to one of our dignity and respect advisors. They can advise and support you and will treat what you tell them in confidence.

Support for students

Students may wish to consider the additional support available from:

Support for staff

Staff may wish to consider the additional support available from:

Support for staff and Students

Criminal offences

Certain incidents of harassment may render individuals liable to prosecution under criminal law – you are encouraged to contact the Police as soon as possible in cases where a criminal offence may have been committed (eg harassing phone calls, physical assault, indecent exposure or rape).

Further procedures

If you have gone through some or all of these informal steps and your concerns have not been satisfactorily resolved - or if the situation is simply too serious - you should put in a written complaint which should include details of what has happened. See Formal action.

If, after contacting a Dignity and Respect Advisor, you wish to seek further advice, you can contact the Personal Representative to the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Michelle Ryan, who has been appointed by the Vice-Chancellor as a final safeguard in the event that any of the support or procedures fail to resolve issues satisfactorily.