Further information regarding National Insurance can be obtained from the Directgov website

National Insurance

What is a National Insurance (NI) number?

You will need to pay National Insurance contributions (NICs) whilst you work for the University of Exeter (subject to earnings). NICs are collected by HM Revenue & Customs through the Payroll system and go towards benefits, such as unemployment benefit, the National Health Service (NHS) and the state pension. You will need to obtain a National Insurance Number and let the payroll department know your number as soon as you have it.

How do I obtain a National Insurance (NI) number?

If you are a Tier 2 visa holder your National Insurance number will be printed on the back of your BRP.

If you do not already have a National Insurance number please contact the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 141 2075

Further information can be found on the Directgov website.