Financial Assistance

Most parents will be eligible for some type of funding - please apply for this early.

Early Years Entitlement - All children over the age of three are entitled to 15 hours of free childcare a week for 38 weeks of the year.  Children are eligible the funding period following their 3rd birthday for the Early Years Entitlement.  We will provide all the necessary forms for you to complete, however, you will need to bring in your child’s birth certificate and complete the relevant documentation.  The Government specifies that the 15 hours must be spread over two days.
From September 2017 the Government  will be introducing an additional 15 hours a week of free childcare for working parents of three- and four-year-olds (on top of the universal entitlement of 15 hours a week of free early education for all three and four year olds). The Family Centre will be offering this as a stretched model and if entitled you can claim the hours over 40 weeks of the year which equates to 28.5hours a week. Once your child is eligible for this entitlement we will provide you with all the necessary information.

2 year old funding - entitles up to 15 hours of free childcare and early learning each week. Your child is eligible if your family is receiving certain benefits, has a household income under £16,190, or if your child has a disability, special educational need, is adopted, or placed under a residency order. Free childcare places start the term after your child’s second birthday

Salary Sacrifice Childcare Vouchers - This is a type of salary sacrifice scheme and is operated by your employer. At the time of writing the child care voucher scheme enables both parents to take some of their salary in e-vouchers which can then be paid directly towards your childcare bill. Apply through your company personnel department. This system operates by taking the childcare fee from the parent’s gross salary, before tax and national insurance contributions, generating a considerable saving for all tax payers.

Child Tax Credit - If you are responsible for a child who lives with you, you may be eligible to receive payments called Child Tax Credits. Telephone the Helpline on 0845 300 3900, or visit any Inland Revenue Enquiry Centre for further information.

Student Funding - Because the funding listed below in A and B originates from Central Government, eligibility to apply for help is restricted to home fee status students from the UK, studying on a full-time undergraduate or some full or part-time postgraduate courses.

  1. Childcare Grant – Full-time undergraduates on low incomes may be eligible for help with their fees. For more information and to apply online go to or call 0300 100 0607. (Student Finance Wales: 0300 200 4050:  Student Finance Northern Ireland 0300 100 0077).
  2. Student Advice - If you need information on support as a student parent, including settling in to student life and funding, contact the Students’ Guild Advice Unit on 01392 723520 or email  As well as general advice we also have the Student Parent Support Group. See our web pages at for more information.