Funding B

For further information please visit Gov.UK website.

Loans and Grants

The information within these pages are intended for UK* students who are resident in England. You will find further information by visiting the Gov.UK website.

If you are resident elsewhere in the UK, you will need to check the information provided by your national funding authority as different schemes are in place in each country of the UK. Please visit one of the following websites;

*for information on whether you qualify as a UK student for funding purposes, check the UKCISA website.

The basic types of grant and loan that are available to full-time UK undergraduate students are;

  • Student Maintenance Loan - this loan is intended to help cover living and course related costs, such as accommodation, food, books, travel etc.
  • Tuition Fee Loan - eligible students can apply for a loan to cover the cost of their tuition fees.
  • Maintenance Grant** – this does not have to be paid back after studies and is intended to help cover your living and course related costs. How much you will receive depends on your household income and your year of entry.
    **Please note that maintenance grants will not be available to students who commence their studies after 1st September 2016
  • Special Support Grant – like the Maintenance Grant, but paid to students who are in receipt of means tested benefits whilst studying (eg Housing Benefit).

You may also be eligible for supplementary grants if you have a disability or Specific Learning Difficulty or if you are a student with dependent children or have adult dependants.

You will find information on how to apply for all of the above in Applying for Financial Support.