Funding B

For further information please visit Gov.UK website.

Undergraduate Loans

The information within these pages are intended for Undergraduate UK* students who are resident in England. 

If you are resident elsewhere in the UK, you will need to check the information provided by your national funding authority as different schemes are in place in each country of the UK. Please visit one of the following websites;

*for information on whether you qualify as a UK student for funding purposes, check the UKCISA website.

The basic types of grant and loan that are available to full-time UK undergraduate students are;

  • Student Maintenance Loan - this loan is intended to help cover living and course related costs, such as accommodation, food, books, travel etc.
  • Tuition Fee Loan - eligible students can apply for a loan to cover the cost of their tuition fees.
  • Special Support Grant – like the Maintenance Grant, but paid to students who are in receipt of means tested benefits whilst studying (eg Housing Benefit).

You may also be eligible for supplementary grants if you have a disability or Specific Learning Difficulty or if you are a student with dependent children or have adult dependants.

You will find information on how to apply for all of the above in Applying for Student Loans and Grants.

Part-time study

Part-time undergraduate students are able to apply for funding from Student Finance England, providing:

  • you are studying over 25% of the full-time course in each year;
  • you do not have a degree qualification already.

If you started your course in or after August 2018, you can apply for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. If you started your course before August 2018, you can apply for a tuition fee loan only. Find guidance on loans for part-time study on the website.

If you don't live in England, you can find further information on the following websites:

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Student Awards Agency for Scotland