Check your eligibility with the postcode checker
Year 12 National
Students based outside of the south west of England (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Bristol, and Dorset)
Applications for this pathway are now closed.
You can find the programme eligibility below, and the information about the available subject streams here.
In order to apply, you must meet the following general eligibility criteria:
- You do not live in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Bristol, or Dorset (OR you are a participant in the Realising Opportunities programme)
- You are studying at a non-fee-paying school (state school)*
- You are in year 12
- You have achieved a minimum of 8 GCSEs at grades 9–4 (A*–C), to include GCSE Maths and English at grade 4 (C) and above
- You are a Home registered student (as opposed to EU / International), or you expect to be so by the time you apply for higher education. (If you are not a Home student for tuition fee purposes but meet the eligibility criteria for our Sanctuary Scholarship (for refugees / asylum seekers / people with limited leave to remain), then we would welcome an application from you
You must meet at least one of the following ten programme eligibility criteria:
- You live in a neighbourhood where a low percentage of young people progress to higher education as defined by your home postcode**
- You live in a low-income neighbourhood as defined by home postcode**
- You are in receipt of free school meals***
- You are eligible for school bursaries***
- Your parents have not studied at university
- You are or have been living in care****
- You have caring responsibilities*****
- You have a disability
- You are an estranged student******
- You are a refugee or asylum seeker*******
NB: If you do not fulfil one of these ten eligibility criteria but you have experienced difficult family or individual circumstances that have affected your performance in exams and possibly the likelihood of you going to university then we invite you to still apply and each case will be considered on an individual basis.
* If you are studying at a fee-paying school on a full scholarship or bursary, you are able to apply on this basis. Please note that we may ask for evidence of your full scholarship or bursary.
** If you are not sure then you can use our postcode eligibility checker to find out if your postcode qualifies. This will also be checked by the University of Exeter once you have submitted your application.
*** These statements will be verified with your school or college.
**** Anyone who has been or is currently in care or from a looked-after background at any stage of their life, no matter how short. This care may have been provided in one of many different settings, such as in residential care, foster care, kinship care, or looked after at home with a supervision requirement.
***** Anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who, due to illness, disability, a mental health problem, or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.
****** We define an estranged student as someone who does not have the support and approval of their family, and who often has no contact with their family at all.
******* Defined as a student who has submitted a claim for asylum within the UK and is awaiting a response, who has Limited Leave to Remain in the UK, who has been awarded Humanitarian Protection or Refugee status in the UK, or who is the dependent family member of someone with one of these immigration statuses.