Warm Welcome Full Degree Scholarships 2022/23 (Afghanistan)
About the award
The Department for Education (DfE), working in partnership with the British Council, has launched the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme to support eligible individuals in the UK with links to Afghanistan to access higher education. The University of Exeter is very pleased to be participating.
There are two separate programmes in the scheme, the second being Full Degree Scholarships (the first programme for In-Year Scholarships is now closed). This Full Degree programme will provide financial assistance to eligible scholars who are planning to study full-time for an undergraduate, taught masters or PhD programme beginning in September/October 2022.
Any subject areas can be considered but there is a list of priority subject areas here.
Successful scholars will receive a tuition fee waiver and a quarterly stipend payment to support accommodation and living expenses. The amounts vary depending on geographical location in the UK and on level of study. Funding will continue until the scholar has completed their course of study (maximum study periods apply).
The University of Exeter is offering three one-year masters awards and at least one undergraduate or PhD award.
Interested applicants to the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme must meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
1. Residency status eligibility
Eligible scholars for the programme are those eligible for a UK university place and who fall into one of the following categories:
- Afghanistan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) resettlement route
- Afghanistan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS) resettlement route
- Those with links to Afghanistan who are already registered at a UK university and are experiencing financial hardship due to the situation in Afghanistan
- Afghan British Nationals (ABNs), described for these purposes as those that were evacuated during Operation Pitting and who entered bridging accommodation or who presented as homeless to a council, but hold British citizenship or some other status that permits them to remain and reside in the UK without the need to be granted leave to remain.
(The DfE has confirmed that those with current asylum status are not eligible for the Warm Welcome Scholarship Scheme.)
2. Course eligibility requirements
To be eligible for a Warm Welcome Full Degree Scholarship, you must be:
planning to apply, or have applied, to study full-time at either undergraduate, taught masters or PhD level at a UK higher education provider beginning September/October 2022.
Please note that at the University of Exeter the following courses are not eligible for this programme:
- Undergraduate degrees of more then three years' duration, such as BMBS Medicine, and: Flexible Combined Honours; Combined Honours in the College of Life and Environmental Sciences.
- Masters degrees of more than one year's duration and: The Exeter MBA; MRes Global Political Economy; MRes Management; MA International Film Business; MSc Island Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Legal Practice Course (LPC); Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL); Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas; Degree Apprenticeships; and part time, online, distance or remote study cannot be considered.
PhD applications will be considered individually.
How to apply
In the first instance, if you are not already holding a University of Exeter programme offer for 2022/23 entry then please visit our study page for your level of study and apply online for your chosen University of Exeter degree programme as follows:
- Undergraduate and masters applicants should apply by 10 June 2022 **NOW EXTENDED TO 17 JUNE 2022** at the latest.
- PhD applicants should apply by 17 June 2022 at the latest.
Offer holders and new applicants please also send an email to email@example.com straight away, as you require confirmation that the University can support your Warm Welcome scholarship application before you proceed to complete the online scholarship application form on the British Council platform (expected to be open 4 - 15 July 2022).
Please visit the Full Degree Scholarship webpage for further information and to sign up for email updates.
**1 July 2022 Update** The deadline for programme applications under this scheme has passed. Admission decisions and eligibility checks are being made - further information will be requested of candidates if necessary. Candidates made a programme offer will be advised if they can proceed to the next stage of the application process prior to 15 July 2022.
|Application deadline:||17th June 2022|
|Value:||Tuition fees and stipend|
|Duration of award:||Variable|