Skip to main content

Brexit and Turing Scheme FAQs



At the University of Exeter we are proud of our European connections and collaborations, in view of the challenges ahead we would like to take this opportunity to emphasise our commitment to student exchange with our European partners.  We warmly invite and encourage students from our European partners to choose Exeter as their study abroad destination.

The information provided on our website is being updated on a regular basis and provides the best information that is available to our knowledge. 

The University of Exeter Brexit homepage provides information for students, staff and reseeachers.

Read the latest statement from the UK Department for Education.

Outbound students

As a result of the Brexit process the UK is no longer participating in the Erasmus+ exchange scheme.  The UK Government has launched a new £100m Turing Scheme designed to offer global mobility opportunities for 35,000 UK students annually.

Unlike Erasmus+ however the Turing scheme is not intended to cover tuition fees, support students coming to the UK or fund staff exchanges to partner institutions. 

Students will be sent information about the Alan Turing Scheme and updates to existing Erasmus+ funding via their Exeter email and the Outbound teams sites.

Exeter will be able to offer Erasmus+ funded support to outbound student mobility during the academic year 2020/21 under the extended agreements with out partner universities in Europe.

It is likely students going to the EU will be required to apply for a visa for their studies.  Currently little information has been released on these new requirements and every student will be in a different situations, please refer to the UK governments advice page in conjunction with advice from your host university when planning for your Year Abroad.  

As we receive information on visa requirements we will add these to the Outbound Teams sites so please ensure you have notifications setup for your country channel. 

The new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) will be replacing the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).  You can apply for a GHIC for free on the NHS website.

The GHIC will only cover you in EU countries.  They do not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

Inbound students

From 1st January 2021, any EEA national coming to the UK to study will need to apply for a visa.  The type of visa you will need to apply for will depend on the length of the programme that you are studying.  Details of the UK's immigration routes and how to apply for them can be found in our visa information pages.