Skip to main content
Study Abroad Handbook

Visit the Research Handbook page as a reference guide for your own research.


Information sessions

Find out more about Studying Abroad within your discipline, where you can go, which modules you can take and how your time abroad will be assessed.

Information sessions for students going abroad in 2021/22 are currently being booked and will be advertised here soon, please check back for further information.

Find out more about the Pre-departure information session dates


Streatham Campus
Discipline Date Time Location
Biosciences  2nd November  9:30 - 10:30am  Teams invite via Biosciences Teams group
Business School  TBC  TBC  TBC
English with Study in North America (ESNA) 15th October  9:30 - 10:30am  Teams link sent via email
Engineering  26th October  11:00am -12:00  Teams link sent via email
Geography  19th October  2:30 - 3:30pm  Teams Link in Timetable
Humanities (non-ML students)  21st October  2 - 4pm  Check email for Teams link
Law 13th October  2 - 4pm  Check email for Teams link
Mathematics  23rd October  10:30-11:30am  Teams link to be sent via email
Modern Languages (1st years)  TBC  TBC  TBC
Modern Languages (2nd years)  14th October  1 - 3:30pm  Check timetable closer to date
Modern Languages (Russian - 2nd years)  16th October  1 - 2:30pm  Teams link in Timetable
Natural Sciences  TBC  TBC  TBC
Psychology  9th November  1:30 - 2:30pm  Zoom link will be emailed closer to time
Social Sciences  13th October  2 - 4pm  Check email for Teams link
Sports and Health Sciences  30th October  10:30-11:30am Teams link to be sent via email


Penryn Campus


Date Time Location


 5th October  3pm  Check email for Zoom link


 5th October  3pm  Check email for Zoom link


 21st October  2 - 4pm  Check email for Teams link

Social Sciences

13th October 2 - 4pm Check email for Teams link
Business School  TBC TBC   TBC

Undergraduate travel insurance

Travel insurance with emergency medical cover is compulsory for all Exeter students on Study Abroad.

You may be aware that the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) began lifting restrictions, however, it is important to note that the lifting of restrictions does not mean it is safe to resume travel in the same way as before. The University travel insurance policy and those of many other insurance providers continues to have exclusions around delays, cancellations or incidents related to COVID-19 - it is extremely unlikely that there would be cover in place for financial loss due to trips cancelled specifically due to COVID-19. This increases the risk to those travelling and you could find yourself with a significant medical bill or travel cancellation costs to pay.

When purchasing travel insurance you will need to make sure that you are covered for the entirety of the time you are away and we will ask for proof of this in the forms you need to complete for us. You can use any insurance company you wish, but you may want to consider the University of Exeter Undergraduate Travel Insurance, as we know this is comprehensive. If you are going to a European country, we would also recommend getting the student GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card), but this will be in addition to an insurance policy.

Please also note that travel insurance with emergency medical cover will not cover routine doctor visits, medicines, vaccinations or tests. We strongly recommend that you also take out a personal health insurance policy for the duration of your placement in addition to the travel insurance policy (and GHIC). This is especially important for students with underlying health conditions.

Find out more about University of Exeter Travel Insurance.


Researching your placement handbook 2021/22Researching your placement handbook 2021/22Researching your placement handbook 2021/22
Global Graduates - website dedicated to all aspects of studying abroad
Outbound Pre-departure Handbook 2021-22
Erasmus+ Paperwork Handbook 2019-20 (Study Placements)
Students' Guild Exeter - Students' Union advice and support for students based at Exeter Campuses
FXU Cornwall - Students' Union advice and support for students based at the Penryn Campus
Student Information Desk
University of Exeter Wellbeing Services
Peer Support


Language assessment

Remember to look closely at the language of instruction for the modules you would like to take at your host university (see Where can I study abroad? for a list of institutions and their language requirements). 

When researching your placement ensure the institution you wish to study at has enough modules taught in English to cover the duration of your placement with additional reserve modules (in case of timetable clashes or modules not running). 

If you intend to study in a language other than English, Exeter require you to have taken the Advanced 1 (or higher) modules in that language through the Foreign Language Centre (FLC). In addition you must ensure you have the minimum required language competency as advertised by your host university for admission. 

If you are unsure of your language proficiency the Foreign Language Centre provides language tests for French, German, Italian, and Spanish.

In the event you are already fluent in the relevant language, you should contact your College Study Abroad coordinator who will arrange with the FLC for your language ability to be assessed.  If the FLC can confirm to your Study Abroad coordinator that your language is at a level equivalent to Advanced 1 or higher, then you will be exempt from the requirement to study the FLC language modules.


Erasmus+ Language Support

The Online Linguistic Support (OLS) is an online platform designed to improve the knowledge of the language you will be working or studying in before and during your stay abroad.  The OLS offers online language assessment and, where applicable, language courses to any student participating in an Erasmus+ mobility activity with a duration in excess of two months.

OLS assessments are mandatory for students who are undertaking a mobility in a language that is not their native language.  For example, if a UK student undertakes a mobility in France but will be working in English they are not required to complete the assessment.  However, if the UK student intends to work in French they will then need to complete the assessment and could participate in a language course.

If an overseas student whose first language is not English enrolled at a UK institution is going to undertake a mobility in English, then they would be required to take the OLS assessment in English.

OLS Second Assessment

The second assessment is mandatory for students who complete the first assessment.  The second assessment is linked to the original assessment and will automatically be issued to you when you reach the end of your mobility.

OLS Assessment for multiple mobilities

If you are undertaking multiple mobilities in the same language you must complete the OLS assessment for each mobility, regardless of whether you have previously completed the OLS language assessment in the same language for a previous mobility.  For instance, if you undertake a mobility in French and complete the OLS assessment and then undertake another mobility in French you will need to complete the OLS assessment again.

Online language support course

The OLS course (separate from the OLS assessment) is aimed at various levels of proficiency.  It is more beneficial to beginners and intermediates but there are sections for those with a better knowledge of the host language.

If you obtain a result between levels A1 and B1 in your first assessment you will automatically be allocated a language course licence.  If in your first assessment you obtain a higher result than B1, courses are available in the following languages, at the following levels:

LanguagesLanguage Course AvailableLanguage Course Level
English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch Yes All levels
Portuguese Yes Up to B2 level
Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Greek, Finnish, Croatian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish Yes A1 level

If you are not automatically issued with an OLS course licence you can request one by emailing  Please note that we receive a limited number of licences each year - as such they will be issued on a first come, first served basis.