Register your Interest Now
EAIE Conference Gothenburg
Are you interested in large event organisation? Are you friendly, helpful and customer-service oriented? If you answered yes, then gaining work experience at Europe’s largest international higher education conference could be the right path for you!
Don’t miss out on your opportunity to join the European Association for International Education (EAIE) in Gothenburg for a backstage-pass to their exciting conference from 4th to 10th of September 2021.
What is EAIE?
The EAIE is the European centre for expertise, networking and resources in the internationalisation of higher education. We are a non-profit, member-led organisation serving individuals actively involved in the internationalisation of their institutions.
Each year, the EAIE visits an exciting city in Europe and organises a large Annual Conference for 5000+ professionals interested in international higher education. In 2020, the 32nd Annual EAIE conference and exhibition is coming to Barcelona. Several connected networking events will also take place at other venues all over the city centre during the conference week.
How can you help?
To ensure that our nearly 5000+ international participants enjoy the best conference experience possible in Barcelona, the EAIE is looking for a number of temporary on-site staff members, also known as ‘conference assistants’. Conference assistants are a key part of the conference, performing very important tasks ranging from answering participant questions, assisting at registration pods, managing queues and information desks, to assisting speakers, checking badges and gathering data for future conference improvements.
Conference assistants will be divided into three main groups - a registration team, an information team, and a programme team. There will be a supervisor overlooking each team, and this person will be the first point of contact for the students.
We would require assistants from Saturday 04th September - 11th September.
The conference runs from Tuesday the 7th to Friday the 10th of September, with Monday the 6th being a registration only day. On Monday we might also require assistance with some set-up tasks from the students who regularly have programme tasks. On Sunday 5th we will do a briefing (around 2 to 3 hours) and show you around the conference centre.
Working hours (Monday-Friday)
The registration and information teams will more or less work from 07:30-18:00, and the programme team from 8:00 am-18:00. On Friday the conference ends at 15:00. Exact working hours will depend on tasks and shifts. Please note that conference assistants need to be available on all days of the event in order to be able to participate.
Lunch will be provided from Monday – Friday when working a shift that includes lunch. Water and light snacks will be provided the remainder of the day.
Why apply for this opportunity?
Previous conference assistants told the EAIE that they gained a lot from their conference work experience, noting how great the exposure to the content was, how interesting it was to meet and network with people from all around the world, to work as a team and see what it takes to run a large international conference. They said it was fantastic to put on their résumé, and some students carried on their work with the EAIE with an internship in the EAIE Office in Amsterdam.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at the University of Exeter
- Not in your final year of study
- Not currently on a year working or studying abroad
- You are able to travel between Saturday 4th of September and Saturday 11th September 2021
- You fall into one or more of the Widening Participation Criteria 2020/21
Please note: the University of Exeter will be booking flights and accommodation on your behalf
Managing Expectations and COVID
- A final decision regarding whether EAIE will run this event in-person or transition to an online event will be made in April.
- Should this event move online there is the potential for limited online volunteer places, you can opt into this on the registration of interest form.
- The University of Exeter will have final decision regarding whether we will support this event, this decision will be made based on University Policy regarding non-essential travel, COVID numbers, and UK Guidance surrounding travel and gathering in groups.
- Students applying for this opportunity should very much understand this is an internship abroad and you will be working for the majority of the experience.
- This experience falls within Freshers Week, it is the students responsibility to make sure they are available during this time.
How do I apply?
You can register your interest in this opportunity here. We will then contact you regarding the virtual assessment centre once we have more information.