Mrs Bessie Rook Memorial Travel Scholarship
The Mrs Bessie Rook Memorial Scholarships are awarded to students who will be studying abroad in German and/or French speaking countries. For the 2019-20 academic year 6 scholarships are available, each worth £1,000.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Students must be intending to spend at least 6 months of the 2019-20 academic year travelling and residing in a German and/ or French speaking country.
- Applications are not restricted to students studying within the Department of Modern Languages, but applicants must be able to satisfy the Selection Panel that they have adequate knowledge of the language of the country they propose to visit.
- Students must not be nationals of the country they propose to visit.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for one of the Mrs Bessie Rook Memorial Scholarships, the form that can be completed online is available here. (Please print and save a copy for your records.)
This form should be completed in full to include information regarding why you are applying for the scholarship, details of the country you will be visiting and how you would spend the scholarship money if your application is successful. In addition to your application, a reference is required, so please download the Reference form complete Part 1 and then forward to your named referee (who should be a member of academic staff) for completion of Part 2 and submission.
If you need any information, please contact The Faculty Office:
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone number: 01392 722675
Please submit the completed forms to the Taught Faculty Office, Lafrowda House, Room 3 or email@example.com
The deadline for receiving applications is Friday, 24 May 2019. Following this deadline the Selection Panel will consider each application and decide who should be successful. You will be notified of the outcome of your application.
If you are offered a Mrs Bessie Rook Memorial Scholarship, and you choose to accept it, a condition of receiving the money is that you must submit a report following your time abroad. This report should be at least 1 A4 page in length and should detail how you used the money and how it helped you to meet any objectives you set for yourself within your original scholarship application.