AccessAbility Drop-in Sessions
The AccessAbility team offer two types of drop-in sessions for students during term time. Please click the drop-down sections below for further information, and if you have any queries, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Please note that the AccessAbility Advisor drop-in sessions are currently unavailable due to campus closure. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a telephone AccessAbility Advisor appointment to discuss any support needs you may have.
The Study Skills drop-in session is available remotely for students who are accessing support from Wellbeing Services. During this time a specialist study skills tutor will be available to help you via Microsoft Teams.
About the Study Skills drop-in
The Study Skills drop-in takes place on Tuesdays from 1.30 pm to 3pm.
This drop-in session offers 20 minute slots with a specialist study skills tutor to discuss your quick and defined study-related queries. These session are not pre-bookable. There are a limited amount of slots available during this time so we recommend getting in contact at the beginning of the session to have the best chance of accessing support during the drop-in.
How to access support via the drop-in
- Between 1:30pm - 3pm on Tuesdays, please contact the tutor, Alison Shaw, by sending her a message using the chat function on Microsoft Teams.
- Please include in this message your student number and an outline of the help you are seeking.
- Alison will then contact you using the Teams audio call function during the drop-in period. Please note that only messages sent between 1.30 - 3pm on Tuesdays will be responded to.
What can specialist study skills drop-in sessions be used for?
- To offer immediate support on a study related issue
- Help with prioritising work
- To offer a brief overview of the impact of your disability on study
If you would like study skills support outside of term time, please contact AccessAbility at email@example.com to arrange a telephone appointment with an advisor who can discuss this with you.
Changes to normal drop-in times
- There are no current changes at this time.
Please note that the AccessAbility Advisor drop-in sessions are currently unavailable due to campus closure.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a telephone AccessAbility Advisor appointment to discuss any support needs you may have.
When do the drop-ins take place?
AccessAbility Advisors offer three drop-in sessions per week for students during Freshers' Week and term time. These take place in the Forum every:
- Monday 1pm - 3pm
- Wednesday 1pm - 3pm
- Friday 1pm - 3pm
The drop-in sessions will allow you 15 minutes with an AccessAbility Advisor to discuss your quick queries. Please report to the SID desk in the Forum on the drop-in dates and times to be seen.
Please be advised that the drop-ins can be very busy, so we may need to close sessions early if demand is high and the available drop-in appointments are all booked. We recommend arriving early in order to have the best chance of booking an appointment.
What can drop-in sessions be used for?
Quick queries that could be discussed in a drop-in session could include:
- Questions about what support AccessAbility services offer
- Advice on applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
- Checking and signing of Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) applications
- Questions about what medical evidence is required
- Advice about arranging study skills and/or mentoring support
- Questions about disclosing a disability or health condition at university
Who are the drop-in sessions suitable for?
Any current student at the University of Exeter can use the drop-in sessions. Students can use the drop-in service as many times as they like and as often as they need to. Drop-in sessions cannot be used for creating Individual Learning Plans (ILPs), including arrangements for exam adjustments; instead students should book into a full AccessAbility appointment.
If you need to see an advisor outside of term time, please call the SID desk on 0300 555 0444 to book an appointment. You can book a telephone appointment if this is more convenient; please specify this when you call.