Specific Learning Difficulties

AccessAbility provides support for students with:

  • Dyslexia
  • Dyspraxia
  • Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
  • Dysgraphia

In order to put support in place for dyslexia, you will need to provide a diagnostic assessment report written by an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher who is qualified to assess students with dyslexia and dyspraxia. If you don't have one we can provide you with details of local Educational Psychologists.

For any other specific learning difficulties as above, you can obtain medical evidence from your GP or another healthcare professional. 


If you think you might have dyslexia: 

Complete the Dyslexia Screening Questionnaire → We will arrange to meet with you → We may refer you to an Educational Psychologist

If you need a new or updated report:

Please see our SpLD assessment information sheet for details of qualified practitioners.


The Dyslexia Foundation runs the Dyslexia Help website providing support for people with dyslexia.

Throughout my degree at Exeter, I have received a tremendous amount of support from AccessAbility which has been pivotal in helping me to maximise my potential. As someone with Asperger syndrome, I can often feel anxious or overwhelmed by new people and environments, and starting a whole new life at university was no exception; however, the AccessAbility department at Exeter are very friendly, unafraid to answer questions, incredibly understanding of your needs and always go out of their way to make sure you receive any support that you're entitled to. If you think you might be entitled to Disabled Students' Allowance, or just want to enquire, don't hesitate to ask AccessAbility as you may be entitled to more than you think! Their service has been impeccable and I can't bear to think how I would have coped without it. 

Oliver Bond, UoE graduate