Moving to the UK

Moving to the UK


The University of Exeter noticeboard is an online space where staff and students can post available or required accommodation details.

Renting a property

Monthly rental costs will vary depending upon size and condition of the property, inclusion or exclusion of bills, and proximity to the city centre and the University. Please be aware that quite often deposits are required when signing private-sector tenancy agreements, which can range from one to two month’s rent payable at the time of signing the agreement.

When signing on with a letting agent, be proactive. Make sure you keep in frequent contact to remind the letting agent you are still searching for accommodation.

Letting agencies that are a member of a professional body, such as ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents) or the National Approved Letting Scheme, have to comply with the body’s code of conduct and you can lodge a complaint if things go wrong and the code of conduct is not followed. If you decide to work with an agency, it is recommended that you look for those that are registered with one of these organisations

For the Cornwall Campus you may wish to contact letting agencies in Penryn and letting agencies in Falmouth.

Buying a property

The Directgov website gives useful information about buying a property in the UK.

Council Tax

Council Tax is a local tax, set by councils to help pay for local services like policing and refuse collection. It applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or houseboats, whether owned or rented.

Further information can be found at the Direct Gov website.



The water provider in the South West is South West Water. Unless you are renting a property with water bills included in the rent, you will need to contact South West Water when you move to your new property.

Energy suppliers

There are many gas & electricity suppliers in the UK. When you move into your new home there should already be an electricity and (in most cases) also a gas supplier. You should take the meter readings when you first move in to your new home to ensure that you only pay for the energy you use. Energywatch provides useful information about choosing & changing your supplier. There are price comparator websites so that you can check that you are getting the best deal:

Some rented properties come with energy bills included in the rent.

Home telephone

There are many home telephone providers in the UK, although unless your home has cable provisions you will probably need to pay for a BT line rental. You can compare prices at:

Home broadband

There is a large variety of broadband providers in the UK. is a price comparison website which give details of the best deals available for home broadband.

uSwitch - broadband is a free comparison site helping you to save money, by finding the best deals available in your area.

Mobile phones

There are various mobile phone companies in the UK all with a range of price plans. and HandsetExpert are useful price comparison websites which give details of the best deals available for mobile phones.


You may wish to rent or buy a television when in the UK. Televisions automatically receive BBC1 & BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and often Channel 5. It is compulsory to buy a TV licence if you rent or buy a television. Licences for colour televisions currently cost £139.50 per year and can be purchased online or at Post Offices. It is possible to pay by installments. TV licences must be renewed yearly.

From 2009 all television in the UK is being switched over to digital, so you will need digital equipment to watch it.


There are a number of NHS clinics and centres within close proximity to the University:

To find other surgeries, visit the NHS homepage and look for the ‘Find and choose services’ section.

You will need to register with the NHS centre nearest to your home by going into the centre and completing the appropriate forms.

Most centres will require proof of identification when registering and will ask to see either your passport or driving licence and a copy of a utility bill confirming your address.