Further information regarding National Insurance can be obtained from the Directgov website

National Insurance

What is a National Insurance (NI) number?

You will need to pay National Insurance contributions (NICs) whilst you work for the University of Exeter (subject to earnings). NICs are collected by HM Revenue & Customs through the Payroll system and go towards benefits, such as unemployment benefit, the National Health Service (NHS) and the state pension. You will need to obtain a National Insurance Number and let Human Resources know your number as soon as you have it.

How do I obtain a National Insurance (NI) number?

If you do not already have a National Insurance number contact the Payroll Office, who will be able to provide you with a form to complete.

If you are a Graduate Teaching Assistant, please look at the guidance in the ‘how to apply’ link.

Further information can be found on the Directgov website.