PTA Guidance for Managers

Frequently Asked Questions - Contract and other employment

The University will be piloting the arrangements for one-year, to enable all parties time to fully evaluate the arrangements, and therefore initially contracts will be for a fixed-term of one year.  Feedback should be forwarded to People Services.


You must notify sickness as arrangements for other employees within your College as soon as possible.  For guidance on managing sickness please refer to the Managing absence Code of Practice.   Advice can also be obtained from your HR Advisor.

The work undertaken by postgraduate students is primarily related to teaching activities and this aligns to the Education and Scholarship job family.

Yes, subject to satisfactory performance, and subject to a minimum of six months’ service in the grade, increments are payable on 1 August each year up to scp 27. For further information on salaries and oncosts please follow this link: Salary Scales.

Yes, their continuous service from when they were issued the annualized contract will apply in their new role (subject to any breaks between contracts).  However, they cannot continue to be employed as a PTA. 

University salaries are paid on the penultimate working day of the month.  The pay date may vary in December but a list of pay dates is confirmed at the beginning of each year.

Please note that we must have received their right to work documentation and new joiner details in order to pay them.  If they started working in September/October we need this returned to us no later than 17 October to make payment in our October payroll run.

If their start date falls on or before the 20th of the month, their first salary payment will be made in the month they join.  If their start date falls on or after 21st of the month, their first salary payment will be made in the month after they join, and this payment will be backdated to cover the period from their contractual start date. This also applies to people transferring from the claims payroll.


Yes they do, as we are required by law to check Right to Work for each new period of employment.

Their salary includes pro-rata paid leave entitlement, to be taken on unspecified days during the vacation periods. Leave may not be taken during term-time. You need to ensure that they take their leave each year and that they take it outside peak times in the area where they normally work. See our website for more information including instructions on how to book annual leave.