Employability training and events
We offer a comprehensive range of skills training sessions on a wide variety of employability topics, several of which are delivered on campus by top graduate employers.
Many sessions count towards The Exeter Award - an achievement award unique to the University of Exeter that gives you recognition for the activities that you take part in outside of your studies and helps to develop a range of skills to take forward into the world of work.
All of our skills training sessions and employability events can be booked through My Career Zone.
If you are looking for slides or handouts from a session you have attended you can find them in My Career Zone.
Regular skills sessions
eXfactor is an award-winning programme developed with you in mind - the first of its kind across all UK universities!
eXfactor aims to get you to start thinking about what motivates you, what your interests and values are, the skill set you already have and what you need to develop in order to help you succeed after graduating.
|Careers/jobs fairs||Employer drop-ins|
|Panel discussions||Insight into a profession|
|What to do with a degree in...||What jobs would suit me?|
|Working abroad||Searching for internships|
|Applying for a summer vacation scheme||Job hunting|
|The Interview Experience||Employer Mock Interviews|
|Interview skills||CV and job application skills|
|Understanding psychometric testing||Understanding assessment centres|
|Persuading, Influencing and Negotiating Skills||The Business Plan|
|Time and Stress Management Strategies||Social Entrepreneurship|
|Understanding Team Dynamics||Commercial Awareness|
|Active Listening Skills||Corporate Social Responsibility|
|Effective Presentation Skills||Project Planning|
|Networking Essentials||Project Management|
|Managing People – Planning and Monitoring Work||Strategic Marketing for a new business|
|Cultural Awareness – an Introduction||LinkedIn Lab|
|Leadership Skills||Advocacy skills|
|Professionalism in the workplace||Linked in/Social Media|
|Introduction to Entrepreneurship||Preparing to teach|
- Search for Skills for the workplace sessions in My Career Zone
- See a feed of recently added sessions in Exeter
- See a feed of recently added sessions in Cornwall
Counts towards the Exeter Award Counts towards the Exeter Leaders Award
Each year we host a range of top employers right here on campus. Types of sessions include:
|Careers Fairs||Employer presentations|
|Application forms||Preparing for an assessment centre|
|Psychometric testing||Commercial awareness|
|Corporate social responsibility||Leadership skills|
We deliver a range of careers fairs which are designed to provide you with access to a range of employers offering part-time work, internships and graduate opportunities. These companies are keen to recruit Exeter students making them a fantastic opportunity for you to access potential future employers.
The Exeter Award is an achievement award for current undergraduate and taught postgraduate students at the University of Exeter.
The Exeter Award is designed to:
- Enhance your employability and boost your CV
- Give you recognition from the University of Exeter for the activities you are participating in outside of your studies
- Develop a range of skills to take forward into the world of work
- Demonstrate to employers the skills and attributes that Exeter graduates have.
Contributing activities include:
- Attendance at skills sessions and training courses organised by the University of Exeter
- Facilitating sporting and musical activities
- Engagement in work experience and voluntary work or running your own business
- See How to achieve the Exeter Award to find out more
The Exeter Leaders Award is an extracurricular award that recognises leadership. To achieve the Award you must:
- Complete The Exeter Award
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Attend a series of prescribed skills sessions
- Complete a reflective application form
- Deliver a presentation to a panel
Brand new for the 2014/15 academic year the University of Exeter will be delivering the Green Consultants programme. This interactive programme will comprise of 3 separate elements:
- 3 day Sustainability training course
- 5 day on campus project
- 15 day Internship
Through taking part you will gain hands-on experience linked to sustainability and develop your skills to deliver organisational change.