We’ll be sharing insight into the latest research, keep you updated of any events, blogs and research projects. We’d love to connect with like-minded professionals, academics and practitioners on related topics to find solutions to some of the key issues facing young people in accessing and succeeding in higher education.
This centre research spans a number of areas including university contextual admissions and support for disadvantaged students, guidance on the evaluation of outreach activities, and the synthesis and dissemination of evidence to help teachers improve outcomes of disadvantaged pupils. Our work focuses on the impact of practices and policies, using quantitative, qualitative, and action research methods.
The Centre for Social Mobility exists to:
- combine practice and research insights for the benefit of students, prospective students, staff and partners to support social mobility through higher education
- be a community of evidence-based practice which nurtures dialogue and new ideas between students, researchers, practitioners and other stakeholders
- provide context and support for developing new evidence-based ideas for practice and research
- support a whole institution approach to social mobility to enhance the access, success and progression of widening participation students at the University of Exeter
- undertake institutional research to enhance knowledge and practices at the University of Exeter
- contribute to the University’s Access and Participation Plan; strategies for Education, Research and Impact, Regional Skills and Community and Public Engagement; and inclusivity agenda.
- attract external funding for developing theory, evidence, initiatives and policy-making in the field of social mobility
We aim to become a regional, national and international hub of research and evidence-based practice. We seek to exemplify our professional values related to pursuing more equity in how we conduct our own research and professional practices.
Read more about Establishing the Centre for Social Mobility - a paper written by the Centre's Co-Directors, Professor Anna Mountford-Zimdars and Nicola Sinclair.
If you would like to join our mailing list to keep up-to-date with news and events linking to the Centre for Social Mobility, please contact:
Head of Widening Participation and UK Student Recruitment
University of Exeter
Hope Hall, Streatham Campus, Exeter, EX4 4PL
Professor of Social Mobility
Graduate School of Education, University of Exeter,
Northcloisters 132 St Lukes Campus,
Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU