Grand Challenges 2015
Over the course of a week, last summer, the Grand Challenges team, made up of Emma Prevignano, Ellie Broad, Beth Howell, Doug Buck, Sophia David and Imogen Crarer were challenged to digitise the Devon Gardens Trusts' file of documents on the University's Streatham campus.
They worked efficiently and co-operatively to produce:
- a timeline for the highly influential Veitch family of nurserymen
- profiles of the key members of the Veitch family
- a report on Plant Hunters who worked with the Veitch businesses
- an interview with Topsham-based Veitch expert, Caradoc Doy
- a virtual tour of the Reed Hall landscape, designed and planted by the Veitchs.
As part of their project they interviewed Iain Park, Director of Grounds and Caradoc Doy, local horticulturalist and Veitch historian, about Reed Hall and its history.
They also created a Placify tour, an online tour which can be easily used on smartphone or tablet. It guides the user around the grounds of Reed Hall, highlighting points of historical and horticultural interest.
Full details of this can be found on the Devon Gardens Trust website.