Armed Forces Covenant Focus Group
The Armed Forces Covenant Focus Group is chaired by Jonathan Cresswell and is open to university staff who are reservists, veterans, service family members and with an interest in our Armed Forces Covenant.
The Focus Group is intended to provide an informal constructive forum to discuss the University’s commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant (AFC).
Purpose of the Armed Forces Covenant Focus Group
- Champion the Armed Forces Covenant at the University of Exeter.
- Be inclusive and open to anyone with an interest in the military and our Armed Forces Covenant.
- Provide a network to share experiences and offer mutual support.
- Ensure our Armed Forces Covenant pledges are adhered to and look for ways we can improve as a military-friendly organisation.
- Call on the network to support Armed Forces related applicants during recruitment by assessing CVs and applications, supporting hiring managers to spot and translate military skills and experience, and address potential bias where required.
- Use the network to run buddy/mentor schemes for ex-military personnel when they join the University.
- Engage with other networks within the University.
- Secure board-level buy-in/communications team buy-in.
- Use the network to support fundraising and communications initiatives for military causes.
- Feedback progress and activity to HR Senior Management Team (SMT) and communicate throughout the organisation.
We have an active MS Teams group, regular 30-minute catch-up meetings and aim for termly 1-hour meetings.
Invitations to the meeting are sent via the group chair. Please email People Services if you are a veteran, reservist or service family member and would like to join our group.
If you are already part of the group and have any comments, suggestions or ideas you would like to have discussed, please use our MS Teams channel or send a direct message to the chair.