How to effectively communicate with your data - a workshop delivered by Dan Isaac
A virtual public data visualisation workshop is scheduled for Thursday 26th May 2022 - please click here for further information and to book your place.
About the workshop
The aim of this workshop is to share and discuss the some key principles for effective data visualisation and to inspire you to start to tell better stories with your data.
Creating effective data visualisations is no longer a task for highly technical specialists and design professionals. In the modern workplace, we are all responsible for the data that we produce and learning how to effectively communicate with this data can be an invaluable asset.
Learning the fundamental principles behind good data visualisation can:.
- Simplify the process of presenting data in tables and graphs.
- Help those working with data to engage, captivate and influence their audience.
- Ensure that the story being presented can be easily understood.
- Allow decision-maker to get answers more quickly.
The workshop is aimed at anyone who works with data as part of their role. From administrators, analysts and accountants to researchers, teachers and senior managers, we can all benefit from learning the theory behind creating great graphics.
By the end of the workshop, delegates will be able to:
- Critically review a data visualisation and understand what makes one example more effective than another.
- Understand some key psychological principles and their significance to the design of an effective data visualisation. This includes an understanding of the importance of storytelling when communicating with data.
- Present data clearly within a table in order to effectively communicate a story.
- Identify and utilise the key components within graphical representations of data.
- Select the type of graph which best communicates the different relationships that exist within data.
- Present data clearly within a selected graph type in order to effectively communicate a story.
- What is data visualisation?
- Why is data visualisation important?
- Data visualisation as storytelling.
- The psychology of effective data visualisation.
- The fundamental principles of data visualisation.
- General principles of effective tables assign.
- Data scales and relationships.
- What types of graft to use and when?
- General principles of effective graphic design.
- Case study: My Design Process.
- Final exercise
"Great course, would definitely recommend!"
"Very well presented, clear, engaging presentation paced well"
"Dan was very good at explaining complex information in an easy manner"
"I learnt information on different uses of grafts and in what situation different graphs can be used"
"I learnt some great tips on how to present simply and clearly"