Archives and manuscripts
Archives and manuscripts
We hold the Library's rare and valuable books, archives and manuscripts which are used for learning and research. These include the richest collection of twentieth-century literary papers by writers associated with the south west of England in any university library.
They cover all subject areas with major highlights in Twentieth-Century South West Writing, Literature and Visual Culture, Victorian Culture and Imperial Endeavour, Arab and Islamic Studies, and Religious and Parish book collections. See our LibGuides to browse the collections by subject.
Our materials are used in assessed essays, workshops, seminars, student dissertations and exhibitions. All our holdings can be ordered and consulted in the Ronald Duncan Reading Room.
The best way to search for our resources is to use the online archive catalogue.
This is fully searchable for more information in individual archives and manuscripts. Enables simple searching on "any text" for names, MS numbers, or keywords. Also has an advanced search screen to narrow and widen search hitlists.
Some digital collections, mainly relating to Victorian culture and film history are available to view and download for research here.
For help with searching contact Special Collections on firstname.lastname@example.org or see our LibGuides.
- Arvon Foundation archive* (EUL MS 329)
- John Betjeman (Archives and materials from his working library; EUL MSS 117, 240)
- Theo Brown (Personal and Research Papers; EUL MS 105)
- Charles Causley (Literary and Personal Papers; EUL MS 50a)
- Agatha Christie (Business archive; EUL MS 99)
- Jack Clemo (Literary and Personal Papers; EUL MS 68)
- Rupert Croft-Cooke (Literary papers; EUL MS 232)
- RF Delderfield (Literary papers; EUL MSS 203, 211)
- Ronald Duncan (EUL MS 397)
- William Golding (EUL MS 429) for information, see here
- Ted Hughes (Main collections; EUL MSS 58, 132, 192, 263, 290, 350, 360)
- John Jarmain (EUL MS 413)
- Daphne du Maurier (EUL MSS 144, 206, 207, 346, 354). Also, research collections and individual items (EUL MSS 301, 307, 346, 341, 359, 363, 400)
- George du Maurier (Main collection; EUL MS 144)
- Powys family (EUL MS 433)
- A L Rowse (Main collections; EUL MSS 113, 116, 244, 286, 291, 399)
- Lawrence Sail (Literary papers; EUL MS 212)
- Flora Thompson (EUL MSS 90, 103)
- Henry Williamson and Henry Williamson Society (Literary papers; EUL MS 43. Other main collections EUL MSS 72, 74, 91, 106, 111, 126, 239, 282, 356, 374, 402)
*Please ask at Special Collections as some papers are restricted.
Please type the name into our archive catalogue for more information. See also below
We also hold significant collections relating to
- Printing and Illustration
- Social Studies
- Colonial Studies and the Middle East
See our LibGuides for more details