Masters applications for 2023 entry are now closed.
Applications for September 2024 will open on Monday 25 September. Applications are now open for programmes with a January 2024 start. View our programmes »
- Provides you with a solid foundation in core theories and methods of political science and research methodology focusing specifically on the Middle East and North Africa
- Designed to give you freedom to be creative but also appeal to employers who expect core, critical skills that apply both to the Middle East and North Africa and the subject of politics more broadly
- You'll deepen your knowledge of key topics e.g. political history, the Arab-Israeli conflict, state and society in the Middle East, international relations, nationalism, the politics of reform in the Gulf, gender studies and Islamic culture and civilization, while at the same time enhancing your career prospects
- We are a large multidisciplinary department, with internationally renowned research centres and innovative teaching. Get involved in a variety of activities and join our vibrant research community
- Your specialised expertise in politics across the Middle East will be valued by public and private sector employers and open doors for further academic study
1st for Middle Eastern and African Studies
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
Largest purpose-built Middle East centre in the UK
Home to Europe's most important research collection on the Arab world
Masters Excellence Scholarships available
For admission to the programme we would normally expect that you hold a 2:1 Honours degree (or equivalent) in a social sciences or humanities discipline. While we normally only accept applicants who meet this criteria, if you have a high 2:2 or equivalent, are coming from a different academic background which is equivalent to degree level, or have relevant work experience, we would welcome your application.
Entry requirements for international students
English language requirements
International students need to show they have the required level of English language to study this course. The required test scores for this course fall under Profile B. Please visit our English language requirements page to view the required test scores and equivalencies from your country.
UK fees per year:
International fees per year:
We invest heavily in scholarships for talented prospective Masters students and have over £2.5 million in scholarships available, including our Global Excellence Scholarships* for international fee paying students.
For information on how you can fund your postgraduate degree at the University of Exeter, please visit our dedicated funding page.
*Selected programmes only. Please see the Terms and Conditions for each scheme for further details.
Institute of Arab & Islamic Studies Masters Excellence Scholarship
The Institute of Arab & Islamic Studies has a number of Excellence Scholarships available, which are designed to recognise high academic achievement and ambition. The awards include a full tuition fee waiver plus maintenance grant, or a full tuition fee waiver without maintenance. These awards are available to Home and International fee status applicants who already hold an offer to study an eligible Masters programme in the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies at the University of Exeter beginning in the 2023/24 academic year.
Teaching and research
- Lectures will give you direct access to the cutting-edge research being carried out by our academic team
- Take responsibility for your own learning and that of your peers by participating in group work, class discussions and student presentations
- Fine tune your critical reading skills and learn how to ask and field incisive questions
- Utilise a range of media from video and audio to articles from newspapers and academic journals
The taught modules on this programme are assessed by a combination of essays, presentations and group work. Following completion of these in April, you will then be assessed by a 15,000-word dissertation for submission in September.
As a Masters student you can attend regular research seminars held across the College of Social Sciences and International Studies and organised by our research centres. These are given by academics from Exeter and other Universities in the UK and overseas, as well as guest speakers from the private, public and charity sectors.
The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities including a computerised language lab, lecture theatres, seminar rooms, lounge, satellite TV for viewing Middle Eastern channels and a gallery for Middle Eastern art exhibitions.
The Arab World Documentation Unit based in the Research Commons is a valuable research resource, housing numerous collections of academic textbooks, press cuttings, government papers and reports, periodicals, pamphlets, business yearbooks, and much more, with material in English, Arabic and Hebrew.
Graduates from this programme may find professional employment in a wide range of sectors both in the UK and internationally. A comprehensive background in Middle East politics and international relations is relevant to careers in:
- academia and education
- international agencies such as the United Nations or the European Union
- international development
- print and broadcast media
- private sector companies with interests in Islamic countries
- business and risk analysts
The academic skills developed on the MA Middle East Politics will enable to you to pursue doctoral study. The Institute has an international profile for our pioneering regional focus on the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula and expertise in Islamic Studies providing an ideal place in which to undertake an MPhil/PhD.
Employment and professional development
Our excellent Career Zone provides invaluable support, advice and access to graduate employers. Visit the employment and professional development pages for more information, including podcasts and profiles, about the range of support available.
In addition, the location of this programme within a hub of renowned academia will offer you the possibility of connections, networking opportunities, advice and guidance from others with extensive academic and career-related experience in this field.