Credit: Evah Smit
These pages will guide you through what to do when you are sick.

What to do if you are sick

If you are sick you should notify your nominated supervisor or College Dean/Head of Service as soon as reasonably practicable on the first day of absence by telephone or message.  You should also give an expected date of return or when you will be able to call again with further information.  Whenever possible, notification should be made in person.

You are required to complete a self-certification form (PD77) for all sickness absence either on your return to work or following the first week of absence, whichever is the earlier. You must complete Part A of the form by giving the specific reason for your absence as well as ticking one appropriate category box for monitoring purposes - see Guidance on Sickness Absence Categories for Trent HR.

If you are sick for more than 7 days

You must obtain a medical certificate, or 'fit note', for all periods of absence in excess of one week (including weekends).  Complete, sign and forward your fit note promptly to your supervisor or College Dean/Head of Service.

Notify your supervisor or College Dean/Head of Service whether or not you will be returning to work at the expiry of a medical certificate and, if appropriate, forward a further medical certificate as above.

Reference to Occupational Health

The Occupational Health Service helps staff fulfil their potential, irrespective of disability and ill health.  They work to prevent work-related illness and to assist staff to return to work after sickness absence. 

We may refer you to be examined by the Occupational Health Service or a doctor nominated by the University where there are concerns about your health or level of attendance. 

 For further information, please visit the Occupational health service web pages.

University Sick Pay

Subject to the requirements in the Terms and Conditions, the University will pay sickness allowance as follows:

Length of service Full pay allowance Half pay allowance 
First year of service  1 month  1 month 
Second and third years' service  3 months  3 months 
Over three years' service  6 months  6 months 

Attendance at work

For health and safety reasons, if you are signed off work with a medical certificate you should not attend work without the express authority of the University.

Further information

University Managing Absence Code of Practice