Grievance, disciplinary and other dismissal procedures
The Council of the University approved revised Disciplinary, Grievance and other Dismissal Procedures at its meeting on 17 July 2009 and revised in December 2012.
The new procedures have been prepared in consultation with representatives of UCU, Unison and Unite and replace the procedures previously incorporated in Statutes and Ordinances and the procedures for staff not covered by Statutes.
The new procedures apply to all members of staff except those engaged on a claims basis and Postgraduate Teaching Assistants.
The new procedures take immediate effect.
Under the new arrangements, the University has agreed with trade unions a local definition of academic freedom.
Follow the links below to view each new procedure:
- Grievance Procedure - the Grievance Procedure is supported by a Mediation Procedure
- Disciplinary Procedure (updated 2016)
- Capability/Performance Procedure
- Ill Health/Incapacity Procedure
- Procedure for dismissal on the expiry of a fixed-term contract
- Redundancy Procedure (revised 2015)
- Procedure for dismissal on other grounds
- Appeal procedure (to be followed at appeal hearings in respect of appeals made under the Disciplinary procedure, Capability/Performance procedure, Ill health/incapacity procedure, Redundancy procedure, Fixed Term Contract procedure and Procedure for dismissal on other grounds)
All the procedures are also available in a single document.
(Please note that Ordinances are renumbered and amendments are made to nomenclature of management roles from time-to-time.)