The Debating Scholarship
Aims of the Scholarship
Do you have the makings of a great public speaker? Are you confident, do you have the ability to speak persuasively, to keep calm under pressure and to think logically and above all do you have the passion for winning an argument? Do you want to engage with the topical political, economic, environmental and social issues that face us all today? If so, then we would like to hear from you. No previous experience of debating required.
Follow in the footsteps of some of the great debaters of the Exeter University Debating Society, a group of whom is funding two Debating Scholarships. The scholarships are administered jointly by the English Speaking Union and the University. The scholarships aim to support two students doing an undergraduate degree programme who can demonstrate a commitment to being involved in debating with the University's Debating Society.
- You must have been made an offer for a full-time, three or four-year undergraduate course at the University of Exeter (Streatham, St Luke’s or Cornwall campus).
- You should have a declared household income below £42,600 per year. Preference will be given to students with a household income of below £16,000 per year, and in receipt of means tested financial support from the University
- You should provide a supporting statement of no more than 300 words about your intention to take part in debating at the University during your first year (2013-14).
- The value of each one-year one-off scholarship is £2,000.
- Each scholarship is independent of any additional financial support to which you might be entitled through the University’s bursary schemes or government grants and loans.
- Each application must be submitted by the end of March 2013.
- Each applicant will be informed of the outcome of their application by email by the end of April 2013.
- The awarding of each scholarship will be conditional on (i) the applicant making Exeter University their firm acceptance choice of university with UCAS (ii) the applicant satisfying the terms of their offer (iii) the applicant's household income being under the £42,600 or (as applicable) £16,000 thresholds above, as verified by the University or the University through Student Finance England and (iv) the applicant attending the start of their course in October 2013.
- Each scholarship will be paid to the successful applicant by the end of November 2013.
If you wish to be considered for The Debating Scholarship please complete and return The Debating Scholarship 2013 Application Form and supporting statement to the following address:
The ExeterUniversityDebating Scholarship
c/o The English Speaking Union
37 Charles Street
London W1J 5ED
Application deadline: 30th March 2013
Please note, the application deadline is before the UCAS deadline for the acceptance of offers.
The information provided in any application will be treated as confidential, but will be shared with staff from the ESU and the University, and the scholarship donor group (which comprises former Exeter University Debating Society members).