BEng Civil Engineering (Degree apprenticeship)
|Typical offer||AAA-ABB; BTEC: DDD-DDM; IB: 36-32|
- BEng Civil Engineering degree apprenticeship is an amazing new degree offering a debt-free path to a university education.
- Taught over five years, you’ll be learning while working in an exciting civil engineering role.
- Your tuition fees for this degree will be paid for by your employer. At the same time, you’ll also be earning a competitive salary.
- Throughout your degree you’ll have direct access to major civil engineering projects – many of our places involve working on the construction of Hinkley Point C.
- On graduation, you’ll receive a full Exeter degree and have gained five years' valuable work experience, putting you in a great position to move on in your career.
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand.
The BEng Civil Engineering degree apprenticeship is a full Exeter degree, studied over five years through on-campus residentials and intensive experiential learning on real-world projects’.
Our programme has been designed in collaboration with employers to satisfy the Apprenticeship Standard for a Civil Engineer. This is the employer-defined, government-approved standard of competence for an apprentice in this occupation.
While elements of the degree will be studied during time at work, the majority of your tuition will fall within four, two-week residentials, delivered by University of Exeter academic staff.
Residential courses will be structured around your modules and will comprise lectures, seminars and workshops. During this time you will also be able to meet one-to-one with your academic mentor. In addition to studying, these occasions will provide opportunities for you to spend time socialising with your peers.
Year 1 (60 credits total)
Year 2 (60 credits total)
Year 3 (75 credits total)
Year 4 (75 credits total)
Year 5 (90 credits total)
This exact make-up of your course will be developed in partnership with your employer which may result in minor alterations to this structure and/or individual modules.
Entry requirements 2019
A level: AAA-ABB;
GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B
Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths
GCE AL/AS science includes: Biology/Human Biology*; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Physical Education; Physics; Science (applied); Statistics.
*If more than one of these is taken they would only count as one 'science' but could count as two A-levels towards our general requirements.
IB Maths HL5 and another science subject HL5
Applicants achieving IB Maths SL7 plus IB HL5 in Physics will also be considered.
BTEC Extended Diploma (2010)
Applicants studying one of the following BTEC Extended Diplomas will be considered without a GCE AL science subject, GCE AL Maths is still required: Applied Science, Aeronautical Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction and the Built Environment, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Operations and Maintenance Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Sustainability.
BTEC Extended Diploma (2016)
Applicants studying one of the following new BTEC Extended Diplomas will be considered without a GCE AL science subject or GCE AL Maths providing they have taken the mandatory unit ‘Calculus to solve Engineering problems’ AND the optional unit ‘ Further Engineering Mathematics’: Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering.
For any questions relating to entry requirements please contact the team on email@example.com or 01392 724061
Other qualifications of a similar level can be considered. We encourage applicants with non-standard qualifications to contact us to discuss their eligibility.
Where a candidate has already gained a good undergraduate degree this may be offered to meet entry requirements. Please note that, due to the funded nature of this programme, applicants with undergraduate degrees in comparable subjects may not be eligible.
As a condition of the government funding support for this programme, to be eligible candidates must be:
- a citizen of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or other countries determined within the EEA, including those with bilateral agreements such as Switzerland, or have the Right of Abode in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the EEA or other countries determined within the EEA, including those with bilateral agreements such as Switzerland, for at least the previous three years on the first day of learning
A non-EEA citizen is eligible for funding if they have permission granted by the UK government to live in the UK, which is not for educational purposes, and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning.
Please read the important information about our Typical offer.
For full and up-to-date information on applying to Exeter and entry requirements, including requirements for other types of qualification, please see the Applying section.
Learning and teaching
The BEng Civil Engineering degree apprenticeship is delivered through a combination of residential courses, blended learning and work-based projects.
The academic curriculum will, for a large part, follow real delivery in the workplace with the day-to-day challenges faced in a work environment informing coursework.
Four residential courses per year bring all apprentices together for a fortnight. During this time you will attend lectures, and seminars, take part in workshops and spend time with your academic mentor.
Blended elements of the course, including lectures and online collaborative work, are supported by University’s electronic learning environment. This will supplement and further the learning begun during residentials, as well as providing academic support for ongoing projects in the workplace
To register your interest as a potential student apprentice, please click below and we will update you immediately when opportunities are advertised
Alternatively please call (+44) 01392 724061
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the apprenticeship
The BEng Civil Engineering degree apprenticeship has been developed in partnership with a group of employers. These include Laing O’Rourke, the UK’s largest privately-owned construction firm, Bouygues, a blue chip construction firm, and EDF Energy.
While study on this programme significant parts of your learning will take place at work and will contribute to your overall degree. As a Degree Apprentice you will be a full salaried employee, with all the benefits this brings. You’ll be working as part of a team with real responsibility giving you hands-on, vocational training every day. At work, you will be supported in your role by both your line manager and mentor.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working on one of the employer’s sites, most likely Hinkley Point C in the South West. You’ll be involved in a wide variety of tasks on site, including (but not limited to):
- Dimensional control
- Assisting design teams with civil engineering solutions
- Supervision of specialist contractors
- Contributing to the control of health and safety on the project
- Recording, control and reporting of progress on the project
- Contributing to the minimisation of the environmental impact of the project
- Controlling the quality of works on the project
As you progress through your apprenticeship you will gain more knowledge and experience. With this, you’ll be expected to:
- Ensure that safe systems of work are in place on site and that all staff adhere to them
- Translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- Manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
- Ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
- Manage the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
- Ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
- Manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
You can expect to be stretched and challenged, but supported throughout your apprenticeship as you focus on building the knowledge, skills and experiences you need to become a professionally qualified engineer. This is an exciting and demanding apprenticeship, so we’re looking for exceptional, engaged and motivated people who are passionate about the industry and being part of a once in a lifetime project. We expect strong communicators, team players and a desire to learn both in the classroom and on the job. You’ll need to set yourself high standards and be able to juggle the pressures of both work and study.
Laing O’Rourke, a privately owned, internationally focussed engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities spanning the entire client value chain. Laing O’Rourke are driven to challenge and change the construction and engineering industry including a drive to work with high quality educational institutions like the University of Exeter, where you will study. Here you’ll benefit from a strong network of peers, studying and working on the same course.
BEng Civil Engineering (Degree apprenticeship) does not follow the standard UCAS application process. To gain a place on this programme you must apply directly to a vacancy with one of our employer partners. Vacancies are advertised on this page, and you can register to receive emails when new vacancies become available. You may apply for more than one vacancy, including on top of any UCAS choices you may have made.
The application process:
- Apply through your chosen company's website via the links below. You are welcome to apply for more than one vacancy.
- Once you have applied we will review your application with the company you’ve applied to.
- If you meet our requirements and the company's job specification you will be invited to an interview.
- Once your interview is completed, you will receive a notification about whether you have been successful.
- If you have been successful you will be offered a position with the company. Your place will be confirmed by us, and we will send further information about how to enrol as a student.
- If you have not been successful this time, do not worry! Keep an eye out for other opportunities on this page.
Current vacancies for 2019 entry
On our programme, your capabilities will be recognised and rewarded. Most importantly, you will be encouraged to continue learning throughout your career with a programme of up to five years that combines academic learning with on-the-job training. You will be stretched, challenged and supported by a business that views your professional development as a priority.
During the programme you will work across a range of businesses and projects, which will offer the breadth and variety to support your career progression and will contribute towards your professional development and you will be part of the some of the most exciting future construction and infrastructure projects.
Locations available: Greater London and Dartford (Kent); Greater Manchester, Liverpool & Leeds; Oxfordshire; Glasgow; Taunton, Somerset; St Neots, Cambridgeshire
This is your opportunity to join a bespoke civil engineering site management degree apprenticeship created in partnership with the University of Exeter.
We are looking for exceptional people to fill civil engineering roles at our Hinkley Point C project while studying part-time for a debt-free BEng degree at a highly-ranked Russell Group University.
You'll become professionally qualified as well to Technician (EngTech) and Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status.
Location: Hinkley, Somerset
As a Degree Apprentice with our Water team you will be working with our experienced engineers to support with investigations, site inspections, data collection and scheme design and development. You will get involved with helping the team prepare technical documents and drawings for checking and approval whilst studying a degree in Civil Engineering.
With the EDF Energy Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship, you’ll study for a Civil Engineering Site Management degree whilst working on some of Europe’s largest construction projects, Hinkley Point C or Sizewell C power stations in roles such as construction, safety, environment and surveillance.
You’ll be enthusiastic about engineering in the nuclear industry and have a clear ambition to develop a career within EDF Energy. You’ll be able to engage people at all levels, work well within a team and be able to manage the responsibilities of both work and study.
So if you want to kick start your career in one of the most interesting industries around, apply today!
We are looking for an apprentice to join our Traffic Engineering team in Exeter. The Traffic team is focused on developing engineering measures to achieve a safe and efficient movement and interaction of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles on the roads. We focus mainly on traffic flows, road geometry, cycle facilities, traffic signs, pavement engineering, traffic signals and intelligent transport systems.