Create Your Future aligns with UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Meets the three competency areas of the Entrecomp Framework.
Completing Create Your Future counts towards the Other Activities section of the Exeter Award.
Create Your Future
Developing the knowledge, skills and resources to build the career you want
Unique to Exeter, Create your Future is a personal and professional development programme for first year students, giving you the opportunity to think about what you want from your future after University, and the practical steps to get there.
The programme introduces you to the Career Zone and planning your future career. It runs in your first year so that you have the time needed to explore options, make decisions, develop your skills and gain relevant experiences during your time at University. This should help you to be in a strong position by the time you are applying for a graduate level job or further study.
Whether you haven’t started thinking about your future career plans and ideas yet, you have a clear idea in mind, or already have experience in a specific sector, the content of the programme will be customised for you. You will finish the programme with some practical next steps including signposting to Career Zone support that is relevant to you.
All first year students need to attend the Create Your Future sessions for their discipline, which will take place during a five week period during the first year. The programme is made up of three in person workshops, and online activities to work through inbetween the workshops. There will also be two guided independent learning sessions on Microsoft Teams, where you can get support from a careers professional whilst you are working through the online activities.
Through participating in this programme you will have the opportunity to:
- Reflect on your values and goals
- Expand your understanding of graduate level career options (including postgraduate study) and what employers are looking for
- Learn about key topics relevant to the modern workplace, and which employers report that graduates are lacking in such as: entrepreneurial thinking, sustainability, commercial awareness, Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity and the fourth industrial revolution.
- Discover the wealth of support and opportunities that the University and Career Zone can offer you, and how to access what is most relevant to you during your time at Exeter.
- Develop your own personalised action plan
If you are unsure about any element of Create Your Future or how you might participate in the programme (whether related to wellbeing, accessibility, health, reasonable adjustments or anything else) email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide support.