Many students from Modern Languages are interested in using their languages as a central part of their career. Translation and interpretation are well known options and usually require a relevant postgraduate course. Teaching languages in schools and teaching English as a foreign language are also possibilities. There are also many jobs where knowledge of foreign languages would be advantageous such as customer services, international marketing, transport industries and some areas of law and finance. Languages can also be vital in areas of the public sector such as security, armed services, Civil Service and European Union.
- Prospects: Job options with a modern languages degree.
- University of Exeter Foreign Language Centre - language modules, certified evening courses
- Talk the Talk - A guide to maximising your prospects using languages
- British Council - site includes careers and jobs information in the "work for us" section
- What is a Translation Project Manager? - information and advice
Places where you can find job vacancies
- Handshake - our vacancy database with employers who are targeting University of Exeter students.
- TARGETjobs Vacancies - put "languages" in the key word box
- Graduate-jobs.com- languages
- Prospects Job Vacancies
- Global Employability section. Useful source of placement information
- Reed Languages - probably the most comprehensive source of jobs requiring languages from an agency, includes technical, support staff, marketing, etc. Put the language(s) you wish to use in the keywords search box
- Top Language Jobs - agency with large numbers of jobs at varying levels and salaries
- Adzuna - Wide range of language-based jobs across the UK
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau - Agency, includes jobs using languages
- Translation Jobs in the European Commission
- GCHQ - communications work for linguists
- Multi-Lingual Vacancies
- French Selection - A variety of Multi-Lingual Vacancies
- ABL recruitment
- Euro London
- National Network for Interpreting: See 'Interactive Resources' section: 'Skills Map' which includes many of the sites resources in a flashplayer
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI): dedicated association for practising translation and interpreting professionals.
Postgraduate Study and Professional Development
- Prospects: Search Postgraduate courses and research opportunities.