Skip to main content

Housing and home

Paying your accommodation fees

If you are in financial difficulty and struggling to pay your University accommodation fees, please log a SID enquiry to the Accounts Receivable team. If you are struggling with living expenses, find out what help is available from the Success for All fund.

Housing advice

Being at University may involve moving into new accommodation, which can be expensive, and bring challenges you’ve not had to face before. Finding the right accommodation and being happy in it can have a big impact on your university experience and studies. The Students’ Guild Advice Team can help. See their website for information on your housing rights and how to contact them for advice on your situation. 

Household bills

If you're living off campus, you may be able to save some money on household bills by cutting down on what you use or switching suppliers. (Check with your landlord before switching any utility suppliers like broadband or electricity to the house.)

If you're in a house-share or flat-share, it's best to agree with all your housemates from the start on your energy use - how much you will use the heating, lighting, electricity etc - and how you'll work out the bills. Get together early on and agree a way that works for everyone in the household, to avoid issues later.   

How to save money on household bills

How to get help if you're struggling with your energy bills

Apply for your Council Tax discount

Whether or not you have to pay Council Tax depends on who else lives in your household. Full time students are exempt from Council Tax but you have to apply to your Council. Check with your landlord or agent whether this has already been arranged or apply to the council where you live.

Move Smart

When you start thinking about where you’ll live after your first year, Move Smart can help you take your time and make the right choice for you.
Over Terms 1 and 2 we'll provide the support, guidance and resources you need to make the right accommodation choice for you.

Get a refund on your TV licence

When you finish Uni for the year, you could be due a refund on the months you’ve still got left on your TV licence – up to £48.50. See whether you’re eligible.