Funding A

Apply for funding at the DirectGov website

Applying for Financial Support

All full-time UK and EU* students wanting to apply for financial support for their studies should make an application through one of the following, depending on where you live:

Further information on what kind of support you might be eligible for is available in our loans and grants pages.

The information that you provide in your application will also be used to determine your eligibility for an Access to Exeter Bursary, but you must make sure that you consent to share the information that you provide.

*for more information on whether you qualify as a UK or EU student, visit the UKCISA website.

When to Apply

Full-time UK students can apply for tuition and maintenance loans from Student Finance from March of the year they commence their studies. You must apply by 31st May to ensure you receive your funding when your course commences in September.

You will need to make a new application for each year of study.

Please note that students starting their course from September 2016 will not be eligible to receive a Maintenance Grant.


Applying for Financial Support Based on your Household Income

When you apply for financial support, you will be asked whether or not you wish to apply for student finance based on your household income. If you do not want to apply for student finance based on your household income then you will only be eligible to receive the Tuition Fee Loan and a portion of the Maintenance Loan. If you want to be assessed for the full range of financial support including the Maintenance Grant and the Access to Exeter Bursary, you will need to provide details of your household income when you apply.

Details of how your household income is assessed are available from the Gov.UK website.

What happens next?

You must provide all documents in support of your application. If you do not provide this documentation, you financial assessment will be delayed.

Once your assessment is complete, you will receive notification of your financial support entitlement.

When applying for financial support, you must provide your National Insurance Number. If you do not supply this information, your student loan and any other grants may be delayed. If you do not know your National Insurance Number or cannot find it, you should contact H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) National Insurance Registrations Hotline on (0845) 915 7006.