Get some extra cash and increase your employability!
Part-time and casual work
We regularly add casual work opportunities to My Career Zone to help students gain transferable skills and earn extra money whilst they are studying at Exeter. If you need help on finding employment come to the Career Zone and ask for a job advice appointment. We are here to help you!
The casual work opportunities listed on My Career Zone include:
- routine part time employment
- self-employment opportunities
- event/one day jobs
- vacation work
- research participant opportunities
These jobs may be available during term time, during vacations periods or they may be ongoing roles. All term time and ongoing positions are local to Exeter or Penryn. Whilst we make every effort to find all available part time work you may find your own part time job and if you are unsure about the suitability of the role, please come into the Career Zone at Exeter or Cornwall and ask us for advice.
Where to find casual work opportunities
- Casual Jobs Fair We hold two casual jobs fairs each academic term in the Autumn and Spring.
Next fair is Tuesday 4th October 2016 11-2pm in the Forum.
- Current vacancies - Exeter Includes on campus roles: working in the RAM, in library, etc…
- Current vacancies - Cornwall Includes on campus roles: working in the Shop, Stannary Bar, Koofi etc…
- Student Traders Get a stand at our annual craft fair and promote your freelance work/business, use your community skills (babysitting, gardening, tutoring, etc)
- Exeter Student Ambassador Scheme Share your knowledge with prospective students
- Student Campus Partnerships Find paid, part-time work on campus with a department
- Student Business Partnerships Recruitment of ambitious students into off-campus employment
Don’t forget many local retailers advertise online too:
- J D Wetherspoon
- Fat Face
- JD Sports
- River Island
- Co-operative Food
- International students are advised to read our International job advice pages and may also find International Student Support useful. For further support please feel free to book a job advice appointment in the Career Zone.
- For advice on funding, housing, problems with your course please contact the Students' Guild Advice Unit or seek advice from your Personal Tutor or Student Counselling firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find out how to claim tax back in our Tax document and check if you're owed a tax refund.
- We are happy to advertise internal research participant opportunities as they allow students to see, understand and contribute to the Universities’ research and the act of participating in studies gives students ‘on-the-ground’ experience of doing research and exposure to various different research methods.
- With the exception of Research participation all employment advertised on My Career Zone is paid and must pay at least National Minimum Wage (NMW).
- If you are unsure about the legality of your employment come and speak to us in the Career Zone.
- If you are looking for work experience then Volunteering and the Work Shadow Scheme are great places to develop skills for your CV.