Internships - Graduate Business Partnerships
(If you are an employer, please visit our GBP employer facing page)
Our Graduate Business Partnership scheme is designed to help get graduates into supported internship with organisations usually based in the South West.
- You have or are about to achieve at least a full undergraduate degree (if you have a Masters or PhD you can apply) and
- You have attended a British university or You were an ERAMUS student who has spent a year studying at the University of Exeter and
- You have graduated in the UK in the last 3 years (from your most recent degree) and
- You have the Right to Work in the UK
- Sign up to receive our weekly GBP vacancy e-bulletin (For Non-Exeter graduates - this is the only way to see the full details of the GBP vacancies )
- View our current GBP vacancies (If you are a Non - Exeter graduate and you would like more information on a specific vacancy please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the vacancy reference)
- Consult Guidance on completing the application for tips on applying.
- Download the Internship Application Form. We expect you to complete this form for all vacancies.
- Exeter graduates can access interview preparation information and advice - please check your onlline presence is as good as your application, as some employers will do additional research on applicants.
- Unless stated, interview expenses will not be paid.
The internships are in a wide range of sectors, including working in Higher Education; Advertising; Arts and Culture; Engineering; and Legal Services.
Types of internship vary, but usually cover a variety of roles, such as Marketing, IT, Web Development, PR, Technical, Environmental, Engineering, Market Research, Business Planning, Accounts and Sales.
The employers are often Small Medium Size Enterprises (SMEs) or large organisations such as local Councils, the NHS and utility companies.
The internships are usually located in the South West of England, although occasionally we have opportunities further afield such as in London and the Midlands.
If you are looking for a place to stay whilst undertaking your internship, please see 'need accommodation' section below.
Most GBPs are approximately 37 hrs per week, Mon-Fri 9-5pm. We are able to ask the employer if they would consider employing a graduate part-time in a role, if that would suit your needs.
Most internships are for 12 months; the minimum is 2 months, but most are not less than 6 months. We can now offer internships for a total of 23 months. Therefore if you have previously worked for the University of Exeter or you have undertaken a GBP before, you can apply for more, as long as it does not exceed the maximum of 23 months.
Graduates are paid a minimum of £17,210 per annum. This is a set rate of pay working at the University, but working for other companies and organisations you could be paid more.
For University of Exeter GBPs, your pay is subject to the annual cost of living increase which is reviewed in August, but often not agreed and implemented until the following January. If you are still an employee of the University at the point the pay rise comes in, you will receive an automatic back pay in your next pay cheque.
Once you have become a GBP intern, you are permitted to access Exeter's My Career Zone. This system allows you to access:
- Appointments - CV checks and Careers Consultants
- Careers Events - some internal and many external events
- Jobs - Graduate Recruitment, internships and enterprise opportunities
- Careers Information - Browse resources, FAQs and factsheets
Register as a graduate by inserting your personal details and GBP reference number (e.g. GBP 2999) in the Student Number field. The Career Zone staff will then aim to verify your access within 2 working days.
When you begin your internship please work through your Internship Induction Checklist (unless you are a GBP working for the University).
Successfully placed graduates will be expected to attend one full day of Employability Training at the University.
The Training Day Itinerary:
10.00-11.00 How to Make the Most of Your Internship
11.00-12.00 Teamwork and Effective Communication
12.45-1.45 Project Management
1.45-2.45 Business Modelling
2.45-3.00 AFTERNOON BREAK
3.00-4.00 Data Protection
4.00-4.30- Wellbeing in the Workplace
4.30-5.00 Career Research and Planning
If you are a GBP based at the University you can also access University staff training.
Jo McCreedie is available to support any graduate with their internship, either through confidential 1:1 support sessions or arranging 3-way meetings between the intern, the employer and the University.
Do you need some accommodation in Exeter while you complete your internship? The University can offer en-suite accommodation over summer. For more information, please visit our Accommodation website. You can also find rooms or flats on Zoopla ; Spare Rooms; StuRents.com (open to new grads too); Rightmove and Gumtree. If you want advice on the areas you are looking at, just get in touch with Jo on email@example.com.
For further information contact:
Employer Liaison Officer (Internships and Mentoring)
Tel: 01392 722617