If you are a current or potential mentor viewing this page, please see our mentor webpages.
Career Mentor Scheme
Career Mentor Scheme
December 2020 - May 2021 applications open from Monday 14th September 2020.
The Career Mentor Scheme is a popular employability scheme which matches a student or graduate with an experienced professional, for sector insight and one-to-one careers advice and guidance, over a 6 month period.
Important notice for all mentees
Our mentoring schemes are going ahead on a remote basis, but in line with University guidelines we are advising against all in-person meetings until further notice. This includes any networking events or work experience. We would recommend the use of video call, telephone and email in order to conduct your mentoring partnerships as safely as possible.
The Career Mentoring Team are currently working from home and can be reached via the usual firstname.lastname@example.org email address on Monday to Friday, from 9am until 5pm. Please note that we cannot take phone calls at this time, so if your message is urgent, please mark your email as high priority and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible. We hope you and your families are well and stay safe during this difficult period.
- One-to-one careers advice, support and guidance from an experienced professional for up to 6 months
- Develop personal and professional competencies which will set you apart from other students and graduates
- Gain a realistic insight into your chosen profession
- Great addition to your CV
- Possible networking opportunities
- Mentee training, resources and ongoing staff support
- Experienced professionals at various stages of their career (including entrepreneurs)
- From a wide range of sectors and professions
- Based all over the UK and overseas
- Able to provide one-to-one careers advice, support and guidance into their profession and sector
- Able to provide monthly contact via email, telephone and Skype
- Students and graduates motivated to improve their prospects and employability
- Students and graduates open to ideas and feedback
- Students and graduates committed to participating in the scheme for the full duration of the scheme
- Mentees will be expected to take the lead in the communication, contacting their mentor at least once per month
Mentoring opportunities will be advertised in My Career Zone, where you will be able to view mentor profiles and submit one application form for your chosen mentor. The Career Mentor Scheme is a competitive process, so please take care when writing your application and read the Career Mentor Scheme application advice for further support.
N.B. If you are a graduate applying to the scheme, please check your chosen mentor's profile to ensure they have stated that they are happy to mentor a student or a graduate, as some of our mentors may prefer to work with current students only.
- Log in to My Career Zone. *
- There are three ways to search for mentors.
- If you know the name of the mentor you can type this into the first box on the search bar and click 'Find Jobs'.
- OR type 'Career Mentor' and the area of work that you are interested in into the first box on the search bar e.g. Career Mentor Law
- OR Search Jobs. In the first box type 'Career Mentor', Type of Work: 'Mentoring Opportunity', then click down on more search options to get to Employment Type: 'Mentoring Opportunity', Employer Industry: 'Any', Occupation: 'Any' (to see all opportunities) or select the area that you are interested in.
- When you have found a mentor you would like to apply for, click 'How to apply' within the mentor advert and you will be directed to the online application form.
*If you are a graduate applying to the scheme, you may have difficulties in accessing My Career Zone. If this is the case, please contact email@example.com
Note for applicants
- The scheme works on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis, so apply soon to have the best chance of being matched with the mentor of your choice. Mentoring opportunities will be removed before the advertised closing date if we receive an application which meets the minimum score criteria.
- Prospective mentees are NOT permitted to contact mentors outside of the scheme's application process (e.g. do not search and contact them on social media or elsewhere). Applications will be withdrawn from the scheme if we find out that the student or graduate in question has contacted mentors outside of the standard scheme application process.
Duration: 6-months in duration (June 2020 – November 2020)
Who can apply? Open to all current students (undergraduate and postgraduate) and recent graduates (within the last 3 years)
When and how do I apply? Applications open Monday 24th February 2020 and close on Sunday 3rd May 2020. Apply in My Career Zone (select 'View Current Jobs', then select 'Mentoring Opportunities' and filter by career sector).
Level of contact: Mentees are expected to maintain contact at least once per month via email, telephone or Skype. We recommend between 1 - 2 hours of contact per month, depending on your mentor's availability.
Expected timeline summary:
|February 2020||Applications open from Monday 24th February 2020|
|March - April 2020||Mentee training takes place|
|May 2020||Application closing date - Sunday 3rd May 2020|
Mentor and mentee are introduced via email
Mentoring month 1
|July 2020||Mentoring month 2|
|August 2020||Mentoring month 3|
|September 2020||Mentoring month 4|
|October 2020||Mentoring month 5|
|November 2020||Mentoring month 6 - Partnerships contacted for feedback|
Duration: 6-months in duration (December 2020 – May 2021)
Who can apply? Open to all current students (undergraduate and postgraduate) and all graduates who have graduated within the last three years.
When and how do I apply? Applications open Monday 14th September 2020 and close on Friday 6th November 2020. Apply in My Career Zone (select 'View Current Jobs', then select 'Mentoring Opportunities' and filter by career sector).
Level of contact: Mentees are expected to maintain contact at least once per month via email, telephone, and online meetings. We recommend between 1 and 2 hours of contact each month, depending on your mentor's availability.
Expected timeline summary:
Student Applications open from Monday 14th September 2020
Mentees are selected. Mentee training takes place
|October 2020||Mentees are selected. Mentee training takes place|
|November 2020||Mentees are selected. Mentee training takes place|
Application closing date - Friday 6th November 2020
Mentor and mentee are introduced via email
|January 2020||Mentoring month 2|
|February 2020||Mentoring month 3|
|March 2020||Mentoring month 4|
|April 2021||Mentoring month 5|
|May 2021||Mentoring month 6 - Partnerships contacted for feedback|
Unfortunately, due to the global situation surrounding Coronavirus, we have had to take the decision to cancel our 'Meet Your Mentor' event, due to be held at the University on Exeter, on Tuesday 2nd June, 2020 6-8pm. We will update on the situation for the December 2020 scheme as soon as possible.
We hope to be able to meet with you again in person soon.
- Applications for the Summer to Autumn 2020 Scheme (June - November 2020) will be open to all current students (undergraduate and postgraduate) and graduates who have graduated within the last three years. Applications will be open from Monday 24th February 2020 to Sunday 3rd May 2020.
- Mentees may submit one application only, where you will be asked to select one first choice and one second choice mentor. If your application meets a minimum score criteria, your application will be considered successful and we will do our best to match you with your first choice mentor.
- The scheme works on a 'first-come, first-serve' basis, which means a mentor profile will be closed once we have received a strong application (please note, some mentor opportunities will stay open for 2 student applications if that mentor has confirmed they are able to support more than one mentee).
- Successful mentees will be invited to attend a compulsory 2-hour training session before the scheme begins.
- Successful mentees will be expected to participate for the full duration of the scheme by actively staying in touch with their mentors at least once per month and providing feedback to staff when requested.
- You may participate in the Career Mentor Scheme multiple times, though you cannot apply to be mentored by the same mentor more than once. When submitting an application, you will be asked if you have previously participated and if so, why you feel participating again will be of benefit to you. The Career Mentoring Team reserve the right to reject a repeat application based on a mentee's conduct during a previous partnership.
- Mentees are not permitted to search for a mentor’s contact information or directly contact a mentor outside of the scheme’s standard recruitment and selection process. Applications will be withdrawn from the scheme if we find out that the student or graduate in question has contacted mentors outside of the standard scheme application process.
Please see our FAQs for more details.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01392 722034.