Apply in My Career Zone (select 'View Current Jobs', then select 'Mentoring Opportunities' and 'Filter by career option')
Sanya Burgess (BA English) with her mentor Simon Hall (BBC Home Affairs Correspondent). Read their experience
Career Mentor Scheme
The Career Mentor Scheme is a unique opportunity for students to be matched with an experienced professional to gain one-to-one careers advice, support and guidance into their profession and sector.
If you are a current or potential mentor viewing this page, please see our mentor webpages.
12-month scheme open to all students
- Duration: 12 months (January 2014 – December 2014)
- Who can apply? All current undergraduate and postgraduate students from all colleges and campuses.
- When can I apply? Open to applications from September 23rd to November 10th 2013.
Please see see the timeframe for mentees for more details.
What are the benefits?
- One-to-one careers advice, support and guidance from an experienced professional
- Develop personal and professional competencies which will set you apart from other students and graduates
- Gain a realistic insight into your chosen profession
- Great addition to your CV
- Possible networking opportunities
- Mentee training, resources and ongoing staff support
Who are the Mentors?
- Experienced professionals at various stages of their career (including entrepreneurs)
- From a wide range of sectors and professions
- Based all over the UK and overseas
- Offered to provide one-to-one careers advice, support and guidance into their profession and sector
- Offered to provide monthly contact via email and telephone or meeting in person
What are you looking for in a mentee?
- Students motivated to improving their prospects and employability
- Students open to ideas and feedback
- Students committed to participating in the scheme for the full duration of the scheme
- Students will be expected to take the lead in the communication, contacting their mentor at least once per month
How do I apply?
Mentoring opportunities are advertised in My Career Zone, where you will be able to view mentor profiles and submit one application from for your chosen mentor. The Career Mentor Scheme is a competitive process, so please take care on your application.
- Log in to My Career Zone
- Select 'View Current Jobs', then select 'Mentoring Opportunities' and 'Filter by career option'
- Read mentor profiles of your choice marked 'Career mentor available:[mentor name]'
- To apply, click on 'How to apply' within the mentor advert and you will see a link to the online application form
Terms and guidance notes:
- The scheme is open for applications from all students from September 23rd to November 10th 2013.
- Students my submit only one application where you will be asked to select one first choice mentor and one second choice mentor.
- A mentor profile will be closed for selection once we have received five student applications. Student applications will then be shortlisted by the scheme staff and successful applicants will be interviewed via telephone by a member of staff and expected to attend a compulsory 2-hour training session in January 2014.
- Successful students will be matched to one mentor (one student to one mentor) and are expected to be committed to participating for the full duration of the scheme by actively staying in touch with their mentors at least once per month and providing feedback to staff when requested. Please see see the timeframe for mentees and mentee FAQs for more details.
- Students who have already been matched with a mentor through this scheme are not eligible to apply as we would like other students to benefit from the help of a mentor.
- Students are not permitted to search for a mentor’s contact information or directly contact a mentor outside of the scheme’s standard recruitment and selection process.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01392 722034.