Purpose and principles
1. The University recognises that travel, both within the United Kingdom and internationally, is necessary for academic purposes and other business activities to further the mission of the University.
2. In determining whether travel is necessary and determining the most appropriate method of travel, both travellers and managers approving travel should take account of:
- the academic/business benefits of the journey;
- the cost of the journey;
- the efficient/‘best value’ use of University resources, including staff time;
- sustainability and environmental issues;
- policies, regulations and guidance issued by the University (see paragraph 25);
- risk management and health and safety issues;
- alternative means of achieving the same end, which may be less costly and more sustainable.