Skip to main content

Medical Evidence

Students will be required to share supporting medical evidence of their disability/health condition in order for support to be put in place. 

A range of evidence can be accepted in support of a request for wellbeing support; apart from the examples below, we advise students to submit the evidence that they have to hand in the first instance. 

For a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, you will need to provide a diagnostic assessment report by an educational psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher who is qualified to assess students with dyslexia and dyspraxia.  

  • Dyspraxia can also be diagnosed by a GP or another medical professional such as a speech and language therapist or an occupational therapist.
  • Please note tests conducted for JCQ access arrangements in schools may not have used tests with the appropriate age range or have tested ability and achievement and are usually not sufficient as evidence of dyslexia and dyspraxia and other specific learning difficulties.

For other disabilities, long term health conditions, or mental health conditions, you will need a letter from a doctor or another medical professional.

Your evidence should include the following details: 

  • A diagnosis or working diagnosis of your disability/condition;
  • How long you have had your disability/condition;
  • The main symptoms of your disability/condition, and if relevant, the medication side effects;
  • Guidance on study and examination adjustments you may require;
  • Guidance on the accommodation support you may require. 

We invite students to get in touch with any medical or supporting evidence that they have in the first instance. If your medical evidence is not in English, we may request a translation of the full text in order to determine how best we can support your individual requirements at Exeter. We are happy to advise on this, so please do email us at with a copy of your evidence if you are unsure whether you need to pursue a translation.