Skip to main content

FAQs - Applying

Applying FAQs


However if you are undertaking a temporary or ad hoc assignment of up to 12 weeks' duration, you may be engaged for casual work via the eClaims process.


All employees of the University are required to participate in these processes. 

The induction and probation processes ensures that you have full support during your first year to undertake your role as a Postgraduate Teaching Associate.

The training ensures that you and other employees are trained to the same standard where these are necessary for your role.

The PDR process provides you with the opportunity to review your progress and to discuss your ambitions and development needs.

You must complete the probation process to enable you to continue to be employed after the initial 12 month fixed-term contract.

A staff contract will be issued where HR have been notified that there is regular/pre-scheduled work.   If the work that you are undertaking is ad hoc and temporary, you will be engaged on a casual basis.   If you are ofered further work that is regular and/or pre-scheduled, we will review your contracting arrangements.

Your College will confirm these arrangements with you as in some areas line management activities may be undertaken by more than one person.  If you have any queries, please consult the Director of Education for your discipline in the first instance.

No, the academic manager will assess your suitability for the role in accordance with the “Employment of Postgraduate Students:  Code of Good Practice

UK law requires the University to check that every worker has the right to work in the UK, and we are expected to conduct this check for each new period of employment.

If you have previously provided your right to work documents AND they are still in date AND you have worked for the University in the last 12 months, we may not need to re-check your right to work documents. Please contact the HR team to discuss if this applies to you.

We recognise that as a consequence of the Coronavirus pandemic, many employees have been working at home. While working at home is permitted in the UK, it is not permitted outside the UK. This is because most countries, like the UK, expect employers and employees to pay tax and social security in the country where employees are physically working (even from a personal home address).

You should discuss your working arrangements with your College before commencing employment.