The Career Zone offers a range of appointment types.
Some appointments you can book via Handshake. Ensure you select the correct campus and college before booking.
- Placement support – for students where a work placement is part of a credit bearing module. To help you find and apply for a placement or for other advice in relation to your work placement.
- Business School students – see guidance.
- Mock Interviews and Recruiter in Residence appointments are available at certain times during the year, usually in Autumn.
Other appointments need to be booked by contacting the Career Zone. You can do this by contacting us between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday:
- Click on the Live Chat icon on this page
- Call us on +44(0)1392 724493
Appointment Types we offer include:
- CV / covering letter check for graduate jobs or casual/term time jobs.
- LinkedIn profile review.
- Application Form check – employment or postgraduate.
- Careers Advice appointments – to help find jobs, prepare for interviews and assessment centres.
- Careers Guidance appointments – to discuss careers options, career research, postgraduate study options.
- Study Abroad – for advice in relation to study abroad.
The majority of our appointments take place via the Handshake platform. Please login to Handshake before the appointment start time and open up the appointment details. Click on the Join Video Appointment button to join the meeting. This will become available 5 minutes before the appointment start time.
Unfortunately INTO students are unable to access 1:1 careers appointments.
Attending Online Appointments
However your online appointment takes place:
- Ensure you have turned your computer on, logged into Handshake (or Teams/Zoom as appropriate), and if necessary, tested your camera and microphone is working, at least 5 minutes before your appointment time.
- Where possible, ensure you are situated in a quiet, private and safe location, where you are able to speak.
- If the consultant or advisor has requested any information from you before your appointment, e.g., CV, please ensure you have provided this as requested. You will usually be asked to upload documents to Handshake.
- Ensure you are prepared with a pen and paper to take notes during the appointment.
Most appointments take place through the video platform in Handshake. To access, go to the appointment. There should be a Join Video Appointment button. This is greyed out until 5 minutes before the start time when it becomes active.
If you have any issues please check the Handshake video troubleshooting page.
You will be emailed a Teams link in advance of the appointment.
When the appointment is due to start the staff member you are booked in with will contact you via Microsoft Teams. You therefore need to ensure that Teams app is installed on your device and you are logged into your student Microsoft Teams and ready to receive their call. New to Teams? Help Installing Teams. Teams FAQs
You will receive a link for the meeting when your appointment is booked. You will need Zoom to be installed on your device. You can find the Zoom link if you view the upcoming appointments in Handshake - https://exeter.joinhandshake.co.uk/appointments open the relevant appointment and link should be in left hand column in the WHERE section.