Setup Guides for using Office365 in Outlook on Windows and Mac
You can access your Office365 email using Microsoft Outlook or other email clients on your Windows or Mac computer.
This gives greater functionality than O365 webmail, as well as making calendar sharing, setting out of office, and accessing shared mailboxes much easier.
Follow the guidance below depending on what computer you use:
2. For Windows 10: Click Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen), scroll down to Windows System, click on it, then select Control Panel from the drop-down list.
3. Find the Mail icon and open it (it may be named ‘Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)’) and a dialogue box will appear. If you have not set up an email account with Outlook before, click Add to add an Outlook profile. Specify a profile name, then skip to Step 5.
4. If you already have an account set up with Microsoft Outlook, then you will see a ‘Mail setup’ box. Select 'Email Accounts' and click New.
5. You should now see the ‘Add new account’ screen. Enter your name, full Exeter email address, Exeter password, and click Next. If you are prompted for authentication, please enter your Exeter email address again, followed by your password.
6. If the connection is successful, you will see a ‘Congratulations!’ screen. Click Finish to complete the setup. When you open Microsoft Outlook, your email should be ready to use.
Read more detailed guidance on setting up Outlook for a Windows computer.
This guide gives details on how to set up Outlook for Mac to use your university Office365 email account.
You will need Microsoft Outlook installed on your app. This can be downloaded from the App Store, or forms part of the Office 365 package which can be downloaded here.
- From the desktop, click on the Outlook icon on the taskbar. If it is not on the taskbar, you will need to go into Finder, then click on Applications in the left menu and find the program there.
- If you have not set up an account previously, you will see a welcome screen, and should click Get Started. You can then skip to step 5.
- If you already have an account set up when you open Outlook, you will need to choose Tools in the menu bar, then click Accounts.
- Click the '+' sign (bottom left of the screen) to add an account.
- You may be asked which account you wish to set up. Please select ‘Exchange Account.’
- Type in your Exeter email address and click Continue.
- You will be taken to the University’s Single Sign On portal. Enter your password and click Sign in.
- Your account should now be set up and you can click Done to return to your Outlook view. Your mail should start to download. Note, it may take several moments to complete.
For more information see the full guide to setting up Outlook on a Mac computer. Setting up your university O365 email using Outlook for Mac