Setup Guides for using O365 in Outlook, Mac, and Thunderbird
You can access your Office365 email using Microsoft Outlook or other Email clients on your work desktop or laptop on Windows or Mac machines.
This gives greater functionality than O365 web mail, as well as making Calendar sharing, setting Out of Office, automated Forwarding, and accessing Shared Mailboxes much easier.
This guide gives details on how to set up your Microsoft Outlook client to use your university Office365 email account.
- For Windows 7: Click Start > Control Panel > Mail. If Mail is not displayed you should change the ‘view by’ in the top right hand corner of the screen from ‘Category’ to either ‘Large’ or ‘Small’ icons. You should then be able to select Mail.
For Windows 8: Select 'Settings' from the right edge of the screen. The Settings pane will pop out and you can then choose 'Control Panel'. If Mail is not displayed you should change the ‘view by’ in the top right hand corner of the screen from ‘Category’ to either ‘Large’ or ‘Small’ icons. You should then be able to select Mail.
- Open Mail and the Mail dialogue box will appear. If you have not set up an email account with Outlook before, click ‘Add’ to add an Outlook profile. Specify a profile name, then skip to Step 4.
- If you already have an account set up with Microsoft Outlook, then you will see a ‘Mail setup’ box. Select 'Email Accounts' and click 'New.' Select ‘Email accounts’ and click ‘Next.’
- You should now see the ‘Add new account’ screen. Enter your name, full Exeter email address, Exeter password, and click ‘Next.’ If you are prompted for authentication, please enter your Exeter email address again, followed by your password.
- If connection is successful, you will see a ‘congratulations’ screen. Make sure you check the ‘Manually Configure Settings’ box, and make sure ‘Cached Exchange Mode’ is unticked (you should only tick this if you want to access Outlook offline on your uni laptop, but beware it can cause problems).
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete setup. When you open Microsoft Outlook, the program should load and your email should be ready to use.
For more information see the full guide Setting up your university O365 email using Outlook
This guide gives details on how to set up Mac Mail to use your university Office365 email account.
If your Mac Mail has been migrated from Exchange, please see the separate guide atMigrating your university Mac Mail to O365 email
These instructions are written for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), but the process will be almost identical for Mavericks (OS X 10.9) and Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8). If you are using an earlier version of Mac OS X than this, please consider upgrading as soon as possible.
- Open System Preferences - either from the Dock or from the Apple > System Preferences… menu.
- Click on Internet Accounts
- In the Internet Accounts panel, select Exchange from the list of account types.
- Enter your name, full university email address and password. You can also add a description such as "Exeter University".
- Click ‘Continue’ and your Mac will start to search for your account.
- If you are prompted for further information, please note that the account type is Exchange, and the incoming mail server is look.office365.com.
- Finally, select whether you want to synchronise your Contacts and Calendars. Once you are happy with this, click ‘Done.’
- Open the Mail app either from the Dock, from Launch Pad or Spotlight. When the Mail app opens, check that the Exchange Inbox appears in the left-hand column of the window. Your mail should start synchronising and appear in the list view. Note that this process can take quite a while if you have a large number of messages, and that the messages will be transferred in batches.
- Your mail account should now be ready to use.
For more information see the full guide Setting up your university O365 email using Mac Mail
This guide gives details on how to set up Outlook for Mac to use your university Office365 email account.
- From the desktop, click on the Outlook icon. If you have not set up an account previously, you will see a welcome screen, and should click ‘Add Account.’ If you already have an account set up when you open Outlook, you will need to choose 'Tools > Accounts' in the menu bar, and click the '+' sign (bottom left of the screen) to add an account.
- You may be asked which account you wish to set up. Please select ‘Exchange Account.’ Type in your Exeter email address and username fields (with the format: firstname.lastname@example.org), and put in your University password. Click ‘Add Account.’
- A dialogue box may appear – click “Allow.”
- You will be asked to fill in an additional Server field. The server is outlook.office365.com. Click ‘Add Account.’ If you get a screen saying Outlook was redirected, click ‘Allow.’
- Your account should now be set up and you can return to your Outlook view. Your mail should start to download. Note, it may take several moments to complete.
For more information see the full guide Setting up your universitySetting up your university O365 email using Outlook for Mac
This guide gives details on how to set up Thunderbird to use your university Office365 email account.
- Open your Thunderbird client and navigate to Options > Account Settings in the Menu icon at top right of the screen.
- Choose "Server Settings" under the Account Settings list of functions.
- Change the IMAP settings as shown below and click OK.
|User Name||your full university email address|
- Choose "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" under the Account Settings list fo functions.
- Change the SMTP settings as shown below and click OK.
|User Name||your full univ
ersity email address
- Your Thunderbird email client will then refresh with your latest university emails.
For more information with screenshots see the full guide at Setting up your universitySetting up your university O365 email using Thunderbird email client (Mozilla)